Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Moses Cunliffe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 2 Jan 2008 19:34

Trying to find more information on a Moses Cunliffe, born 1862 in Blackrod/Aspull area of Lancashire. Married Frances Rothwell in Chorley 1885 - lived in Wigan 1891 census and Chorley in 1901 - but no sign of him on 1871 census?? May have had a brother called Aaron or Arron. Anyone know of who his parents were or any other information like where he was between birth and when he married in 1885?

Ta in anticipation

Paul

Paul Report 2 Jan 2008 20:13

Oh my Gawd!!

Thank you Julia. I have been looking for years for this mystery fella. About two years back, I spoke to a very elderly relative of mine to see if she could throw any light on this and although a little vague, she did keep mentioning the name Hartley without ever saying that he may have 'dropped' the name for some reason. I did find out he had a few criminal convictions in the 1890's, so that may be the reason.

Thanks to you spotting what I so clearly missed, I may now be able to move on with further research on this ancestor

Thank You
Regards
Paul

Paul

Paul Report 2 Jan 2008 20:36

Thank Julia
I have, I remember, looking at the 1881 census that you have posted and dismissing it as the wrong one, but the 1871 census says otherwise.

I s'pose it will always be a mystery though, why he had the name Cunliffe, dropped it for Hartley, then returned back to Cunliffe for his marriage in 1885. The only thing I can think of is that he was illegitimate and Ellen had him before actually meeting James Hartley. The Cunliife comes from somewhere...........

Where's Columbo when you need him ha ha

Paul

Paul

Paul Report 2 Jan 2008 20:52

Yup, it certainly does.

He (Moses) has been the source of much frustration and mystery,

Paul