Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dina

dina Report 4 Jan 2008 15:26

My great grandfather Alfred Dines was born in 1842 at Heybridge Maldon Essex. I would appreciate any information relating to my ancestors parents before that date.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2008 15:33

There doesn't seem to be an Alfred Dines in the GRO births index in 1842 in Essex. The closest birth is 1846. Are you sure of the birthdate? If you can get his birth certificate, it will have his parents' names on it.

Do you know when and whom he married? The marriage certificate would give you his father's name, if you don't have it. If his parents married after 1837, you could get their marriage certificate and it will have their fathers' names.

Do you know his parents' names? E.g., have you found him in the 1841 census in his parents' household?

If you know any of these things, you need to say, so people don't waste time finding things you already know!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2008 15:37

Is this him in 1851? Presumably the census(es) was/were where you got his birthdate info ... so you know his parents' names.

Name: Alfred Dines
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Matilda
Where born: Hazeleigh, Essex, England

Civil Parish: Heybridge
Ecclesiastical parish: Rochester
County/Island: Essex

Registration district: Maldon
Sub-registration district: Southminster
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Household schedule number: 144

Alfred Dines 9
Arther Dines 3
George Dines 7
Joseph Dines 31
Matilda Dines 28
Rachael Dines 1

And you know what it says about his parents?

Name: Matilda Dines
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Joseph
Where born: Gt Totham, Essex, England

Name: Joseph Dines
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Matilda
Where born: Sible Hedingham, Essex, England

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2008 15:42

Now you go to

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

and search for

marriages anytime, anywhere
surname Dines
given name Joseph
spouse's given name Matilda

and you will find their marriage in Maldon in 1840.

Click on the spectacles to view the image, to make sure that the info (volume and page number) have been transcribed correctly, and order the certificate! With a little luck, it will state their ages and their fathers' names and occupations.

And aha.

If you search for

births 1840 to 1842
in Maldon
surname Dines
given name Joseph

and check the box "Phonetic search surnames"

you will find what is very probably his birth -- the certificate would confirm the parents' names. (Hint: it says "Daines".)

dina

dina Report 4 Jan 2008 23:21

Hello Kathryn
Thank you for all the information. Yes, I did obtain the details from the 1851 Census but only managed to review page 35 with the four childrens names. Either due to inexperience or incompetance I was unable to screen the preceding page upon which, I presume, would be detailed the parents names. I will now continue as you have suggested. Once again thank you.
Kind regards,
George Dines

Kind regards,
George Dines

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2008 23:34

Ah, we're singing from different hymnals. ;)

I worship at the church of Ancestry, which is both the god and the great satan of genealogy, of course. The search function is what found the household intact.

From years of googling, and nearly 3 years of living with Ancestry, I've got wise in the ways of mistranscriptions and the like, and good at tricking search engines, so I always go for the "phonetic" (or the wild cards, or other permutations of the data).

Now, there are actually Daines-s in the censuses in Essex, but I don't see an Alfred, so hopefully that is just a surname variant, and he'll be yours!

dina

dina Report 5 Jan 2008 13:02

I am sorry that my inexperience shows but again thank you for your tips and sharing your own experience with me, this has undoubtedly saved me a lot of time in frustrating searches
Regards
GD