Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Dudley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 16 May 2007 04:09

Looking for any information on a branch of the 'Dudley' family that came to America (namely Massachusetts) from England in the 17th Century (mid to late). The family is quite prominent in Massachusetts now and even have a town named after them. The family legend is that they are descended from Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, but I have my doubts, or perhaps it is actually an illegitimate line, as history says his line died out in the generation after him OR it could have descended from his potentially illicit union with Lettice Knollys before they married. We've got the family back to the first Dudley in America (and one of the first governors of Massachusetts) in about 1690, but there is a gap between their arrival in the colonies and their origins in England. My husband's maternal line is direct to the Massachusetts Dudleys. My husband's grandfather is Robert Arthur Dudley - whose siblings were Eliza, Walter and Guildford. Their mother Christiana Hill - descended from Submit Hill. Other names in the family tree are: Prentiss and Brewster (as in Elder Brewster on The Mayflower). Any info greatly appreciated.