Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need advice on adoption..

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 17:56

Hi All
I am needing a little advice on how to find a Adopted person she was born in 1953 in Stockport and had 5 other brother and sisters... I never knew off her existence when i was 17 years old when my mum told me and I thought it could of been a frigment of my mums imagination has she had mental health problems.... Recently my grandma passed away and I went to my Uncles and we were talking like I said my mum did mention it years ago and he said to me there was originally six of us not 5. It was then that i knew it wasnt my mums imagination and that she really existed and I said to him ...I know which he seemed quiet shocked about as it was a long kept secret he was even more shocked that I knew the childs name .. Since he told me I get the impression he would like to be reunited with his long lost sister but he has hesitations as to wether she will want to know ... So I said that it was a chance she may not and theres a chance she might ...
So I found her birth details and I actually went and got him her Birth certificate... What he was wondering was if she was born in january 1953 when she was given a whole new identy would she keep the same date of birth and place of birth or would they change it and also aparantly he was six or seven when she was adopted so she would of been about two or three would they change her first name as a child that age would be used to her name by then and changed only the last name????
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated in this sensitive matter.. Has I think deep down he would like to meet her...
Kind Regards Gillian Duncan

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Mar 2009 17:59

Hi

Have you done a name search on this site to see if she has ever reg here in her birth name or see if she has her BM in her tree.
Given that she was 2-3 when she was adopted she may have kept her first name, but this is not certain.
If she get her new adoption cert, she will have her date of birth on it, but no address.
Do you know which agency arranged the adoption ?

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:04

Hi Sheila
I have tryed that I am wondering and I know its a long shot that when she was given a new identy they would have had to keep her same date of birth so i was wondering wether to search all 1953 and see if there is any handwritten ones on the end of pages but my uncle was wondering would they have changed the place of birth too... it is a possibilty they kept the first name...
Kind Regrds
Gillian

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:06

Oh it was STOCKPORT i THINK
Has thats where she was born.....

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:23

Hi Karen
Thanks for the reply and advice...
How will I find the Adoption Records ....
Kind Regards
Gillian

ann

ann Report 1 Mar 2009 18:29

My mum was adopted when she was three years old.She kept her first name as she knew her name but her surname was changed. Annie

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Mar 2009 18:31

Hi Gillian,

Not sure what you mean a childs birth is entered under its birth name, then about 6 months after the child is placed with the adoptive parents the adoption goes through, and the child details are entered into the adoption register under their new name, sometimes the orig entry in their birth name is crossed though and an amendment number is next to it but not always.

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:39

Hi Grannie of Ten
Thanks for that...
Thats what I was thinking maybe she kept her first name
and they changed the last and middle name but did your mum keep the same date of birth and same area of birth..
Kind Regards
Gillian

ann

ann Report 1 Mar 2009 18:41

Gillian, my mum kept everything except her surname.She even kept her middle name. Good Luck to you. Annie

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Mar 2009 18:47

Hi Gillian,

You cannot gaurantee she kept her first name, it may have made life easier, but my sister where adopted at 7, one kept her first name one changed it.
Did no think the adoption reg had area of birth only year of adoption new name and year of birth.

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:47

Hi Sheila
Her birth was registered I know that for sure has I found it and I went to our local Registry office and filled in a form and they gave me the birth certificate entry but before he gave me the certificate he said you do know this chld was given up fr adoption dont you,,,,
So I said yes I did as it does say on the bottom of the cerficate adopted
And he said he would give me the certificate i asked for which was her birth one she was registered in..
Not the adopted one
he only gave me that one as I had mothers and fathers full name and address which was on her birth certifate when she was originally registered
I have looked at the entry as it is in the records on here and there is no markings next to the entry or any on the end of that page been added at the end
so I know its a long shot and maybe it could be on a different page at the end of another one
I just wanted to know wether the area she was originally born in would it be on the adopted certificate as the same pace or not....
Kind regards
Gillian Duncan

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:53

Hi Grannie of Ten
I was just wondering how do I find the adoption records as it has to be in the 50s as she was born in 1953...
Also you said your mum was adopted so her original birth certificate record entry will be in the records search on here
Do you possibly know that when she was given a new certificate with new last name was it added in the entrys on these records on this site....
Kind Regards
Gillian Duncan

ann

ann Report 1 Mar 2009 18:53

Just spoken to mum and no place of birth on the adoption certficate just date of birth. Annie

ann

ann Report 1 Mar 2009 18:58

My mum new parents got her new cert when she was adopted through the court.My mums adopted record is not on these births but in the adoptive records.You can only look that up under the adoptive name and not birth name. Annie

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 18:58

Dear Grannie of Ten
I was wondering how do I access the Adoption Records
And Thankyou to you all for the helpful advice you have all given me in the last hour you are all wonderful ...
Kind Regards
Gillian Duncan

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 19:04

Dear ANNIE
Thankyou for all your help you are wonderful..
I was going to sit here and search all pages for 1953
which would have takin me ages and days maybe months
Do you know how I can access the Adoption Records Please...
Kind Regards
Gillian
P.s Thank you to you all.x

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Mar 2009 19:11

Hi Gillian,

When someone is adopted it is never entered on the BMD's you can access it is only ever entered in adoption register, you already have the place of birth on the orig birth.

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 19:18

Hi Sheila
Thankyou very much for all your help
I was wondering how do I access the Adoption records Do you have any ideas....
Kind Regards
Gillian .

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Mar 2009 19:33

Hi

Not 100% sure where they are now, will try and find out, they used to be at FRC but they have moved now, think 1 is in GRO Southport but not sure if you can view this one.

Gillian Farndell

Gillian Farndell Report 1 Mar 2009 19:40

Hi Sheila
Thankyou for taking the time to help me ...
My husband was on the internet last night and downloaded a form to fill out and they ask for proof to say who you are and you are a relative...
But do you know wether there is a register that you can view yourself...
I think that one was in southport
I think they are opening a place in manchester but im not sure you can view these yourself..
Kind Regards
Gillian