Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Foulkes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 8 May 2005 10:11

I am looking for any connections to the Foulkes family in Pontblyddyn, Leeswood, Norhop area of Flintshire. Furthest back is Samuel Foulkes born c.1809 marrying a Mary Evans around 1830. They had 10 children.Samuel was an agricultural labourer but later members became miners. Does any of this ring any bells with anybody.

Ruth

Ruth Report 14 Dec 2007 13:38

I have Foulkes in the family from Flintshire but not sure where exactly.

Richard

Richard Report 8 Jan 2008 10:31

My grandfather Joseph Richard Foulkes (b1867) was born at Hawarden. His siblings were mostly born at Queensferry. Since most of his male antecedents were seafarers it has been difficult to find them through the censuses as they were mostly at sea, together with, it seems, their wives and children. I have come across many Foulkes families in the surrounding areas, so I expect that our families are connected somewhere in the past.
Best wishes in your search.
Richard Foulkes (Dick)
P.S. Most of my research is confined to the internet as I live rather too far away from Flintshire.

Richard

Richard Report 9 Jan 2008 16:17

As I intimated in my last posting my grandfather, Joseph Richard Foulkes (1867), had two brothers and three sisters. Robert Alfred (1876) emigrated to Canada and settled in Upsala (Ontario?). Hugh John (1872) did not marry and lived in his later years on a boat at Port Dinorwic. I can find no record of Margaret Ann (1874) and Mary Jane (1869) after the census of 1881. Elizabeth (1879) was still unmarried and living with her parents, Jane (nee Johnson) and Richard at 4 Russell Road, Birkenhead in 1901. With the exception of Mary Jane, who was born at Chester, the children of the family were born at Queensferry.
Any further information will be most welcome.
Dick Foulkes