Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Storry.Storey.Story....Yorkshire

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 12:17

Hi everyone, am pleading for some help on a problem that has got out of hand......I cannot find the Birth or the marriage of Francis Storry (Storey. Story) 1802-1847.

We have been through the whole gamut of IGI and Family Search..have enquired, and paid, to East Yorks Archives at Beverley.Nothing....
Becasue he was born c1802.and died 1847.he is not on any Census.........but his family is......1851.

Bear with me..here is the story (!).....he married Susannah Robinson some time in the 1820's 30's..and had several children by her...these are all on the 1851 Census....but NOT under Storry.because he's DEAD!...and Susannah has by now married my GG grandfather William Gilchrist...so the entry is under his name....in Drypool Hull Yorks...you'll see he took on all her Storry children and contributed another one, with Suannah.......
From there its all plain sailing.........BUT where in hell did Francis come from and who were his parents..and when and where did he marry Susannah???
Susannah Robinson b 1811 Burgh on Bain lincs dr of Joseph Robinson........
Francis???????..Please please cam anybody help..

Access to Drypool parish Registers might be the answer..

Many thanks in anticipation.

Derek

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Dec 2008 12:29

He should be on 1841.........................

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Dec 2008 12:32

Posting 1851......so we have the names of the children!

Name: Susannah Gilchrist
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William
Where born: Brough, Lincolnshire, England

Civil Parish: Drypool
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Sculcoates
Sub registration district: Sutton
ED, institution, or vessel: 1c
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 78
Household Members: Name Age
John Gilchrist 16
Joseph Gilchrist 9
Susannah Gilchrist 40
William Gilchrist 36
William Gilchrist 11
Benjamin Storry 3
Davis Storry 7
Francis Storry 15
Joseph Storry 11
Robert Storry 17
Sarah Ann Storry 1
Selena Storry 10

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Dec 2008 12:35

1841>>>>>>>>>>>>

Name: Francis Storry
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Where born: Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Holy Trinity
Hundred: Kingston upon Hull
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Kingston upon Hull
Sub registration district: St Mary
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Francis Storry 35 b. Yorkshire
Susannah Storry 30
Robert Storry 8
Francis Storry 6
Pheby Storry 4
Joseph Storry 7
Selina Storry 6 Mo

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 12:41

Hi Eric....was quite hoping you might latch onto this..Thanks for coming back.....and yes i do know all about the family....but have you any idea how to get the parents of Francis senior???
I have his death cert and that of Susannah/
He died 21.12.1847 aged 45....at Myton gate Hull.
I have an unconfirmed birth 1802 Hull

I have a beautiful tree from 1757 on the Gilochrist side..but Francis Storry is bugging me! His death Cert is in the name of Story

Thanks

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Dec 2008 12:49

The problem you have is that the only birth info available is that from 1841, which merely states that he was born 'in county'.........and as Yorkshire is England's largest, there is a huge area from which to choose!

As Susannah was born in Lincs, it may be worth trying her home parish to find the marriage record. The birth of the (apparently) eldest child c1832 would give a possible time-scale for the search.

Just 'thinking aloud', and hoping that inspiration will strike!

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 13:09

Heehee thanks Eric........I need inspiration on her side too..I have much the same problem with her....but you're right..Parish records is the only answer...and Drypool in Hull is a possible for Francis.
Thanks very much for your input

Derek

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2008 13:13

His age on the 1841 census is 35. With the rounding down of ages on that census he could be 35-39 making him born1802-1806.
There's this one on BVRI:

STOREY, Francis Christening
Birth Date: 30 Oct 1805
Christening Date: 21 Mar 1808 Recorded in: Hull, Yorkshire, England
Collection: Holy Trinity; BTs
Father: Francis STOREY
Mother: Sarah
Source: FHL Film 990828 Dates: 1800 - 1813

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 13:15

Thanks david......yes i have a myriad of birth and marriage certs..including William's marriage to Susannah..and yes its Susannah Ellott,,BUT its the right one...because several of us believe that francis her first husband weas in fact Francis Ellett Storry (Storey Story)..don't ask me why or how..but on her death certificate she is widow of William Gilchrist ..and on their marriage certificate 1849 she is Susannah formerly Storry ne Robinson...
She was some girl!!

Derek

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 13:19

Hi Margaret.thank you...I'm trying hard not to "best guess".....His death cert 1847....saya he was 45....how accurate is that likely to be???
....and how accurate is BVRI.....pity its not the christening date thats 1806..becasue there was often a ling gap between birth and Christening...

Thanks Derek

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2008 13:29

BVRI is extracted from parish records but they're not original copies, they are transcribed.

Potty

Potty Report 4 Dec 2008 13:32

I am wondering why, if William and Susannah were married in 1847, two children born after that date (Benjamin b1848 and Sarah Ann b1850)have the surname Storry. Are they on the census as children of Susannah?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2008 13:36

I guess this is Susannah's christening on BVRI?

ROBINSON, Susanna Christening
Christening Date: 3 Sep 1813 Recorded in: Burgh-upon-Bain, Lincolnshire, England
Father: Joseph ROBINSON
Mother: Mary
Source: FHL Film 989787 Dates: 1812 - 1873

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 13:54

Hi potty..I think that they married 1849.....and you're right about the names......I think benjamin was conceived before Francis died...and is definitley a Storry........but since William took on all the children of Susannah and Francis and since he had several kids of his own..perhaps thyey kept the storry name for Sarah Ann..but she is definitely a Gilchrist!!! as I am!! lol
Well spotted though........
Derek

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 13:57

hello again Margaret.yep..that's the one....many thanks....any chance of finding where Joseph came from??
Please educate me about BVRI..I've been on here a long time helping other people, but have always ignored BVRI

Thanks again

Derek

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2008 14:26

Hi Derek,
You wouldn't believe how many times I'm asked about BVRI! I should have a prepared answer that I just have to cut & paste.
BVRI is British Vital records Index, a set of 16 cd's that I purchased many years ago from LDS Church. I don't believe they're for sale anymore. The records are extracted from parish records in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales and contain 10.4 million births & christenings and 1.9 million marriages from 1530-1906.
Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? But I've never found one of my family on them!
Margaret

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2008 14:45

There's this marriage of a Joseph & Mary in Burgh upon Bain but it's 3 years after Susannah was born. Besides you don't want a Smith in your tree, do you?

ROBINSON, Joseph Marriage
Wife: Mary SMITH
Marriage Date: 19 Feb 1816 Recorded in: Burgh-upon-Bain, Lincolnshire, England
Source: FHL Film 1541958 Dates: 1816 - 1816

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 15:28

Hi Margaret.now you're complicating things!! lol
..having said that Joseph could have re-married this Mary Smith.....I don't think i want to go there.
I would give my eye teeth for those BVRI records...name your price!! lol
When I first started my investigation of my family tree yonks ago....I got the impression that Joseph Robinson was a farmer..then i changed to Publican!!
Francis Storry was a salt merchant..and I'm pretty sure his elusive father was too.......and for a very short while Susannah was also a salt merchant..obviously inherited his business..A really cute cookie was my Susannah!!

Thaks margaret

Derek

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2008 15:35

I have seen BVRI on sale on ebay, Derek, but a word of warning! There are 2 editions, first and second. Don't buy the first edition, it's much smaller. They don't always tell you which edition they're selling but you can tell from the picture. The first edition is a square box, the size of 1 cd. The second is rectangular, the size of 2 cd's. Second edition has a map of British Isles in lower right corner.
Margaret

Derek

Derek Report 4 Dec 2008 15:44

Thanks margaret..I'll have a look,,and thanks for the tip

Derek