Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ethel Irene GAUNTLETT

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Travelman

Travelman Report 3 Sep 2009 19:34

Hi

I have been trying to find a marriage or death for Ethel Irene GAUNTLETT b Q1 1890 Islington, London but have not had any luck on GR or FreeBMD.

I would be very grateful if someone could see if they can find anything for me please.

Many thanks

David

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Sep 2009 19:43

1881 - poss connection?

Georgina GAUNTLETT Wife (Head) M Female 31 Ilfracombe, Devon, England
G.H. GAUNTLETT Daur Female 12 Knightsbridge
Fredk. I. GAUNTLETT Son Male 11 Knightsbridge Eaton Sq
Maude Mary GAUNTLETT Daur Male 9 Knightsbridge
Alice GAUNTLETT Daur Female 6 Knightsbridge
Ethel GAUNTLETT Daur Female 4 Knightsbridge
Clara GAUNTLETT Daur U Female 19 Paddington, Middlesex, England Servant
Ada GAUNTLETT Daur U Female 29 Paddington, Middlesex, England Visitor
Betsy GAUNTLETT Dau U Female 67 Chatham, Kent, England Lodger
Eliza GAUNTLETT Dau U Female 30 Rochester, Kent, England Visitor To Lodger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 28 Hill Street
Census Place London, Middlesex, England
Family History Library Film 1341027
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0120 / 81
Page Number 50

Travelman

Travelman Report 3 Sep 2009 19:48

Thanks Ann but not the right family.

Ethel was still living at Islington 1911 Census and still single. Her father was William Gauntlett and mother Sarah Amelia Gauntlett.

David

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Sep 2009 21:11

1881 - here's a Sara and William - probably wrong again!!!!

William H. GAUNTLET Head M Male 38 Market Levington, Wiltshire, England Manager Aerated Bread Coy (Baker)
Sarah A. GAUNTLET Wife M Female 30 Hoxton, Middlesex, England
Albert E. GAUNTLET Son Male 5 Glasgow, Scotland
Mabel A. GAUNTLET Daur Female 4 Mile End, Middlesex, England
Alice L. GAUNTLET Daur Female 2 Holloway, Middlesex, England
Catherine GAUNTLET Sister U Female 44 Poole, Dorset, England Costumer
Emma FOSTER Serv W Female 42 Lerwick, Cornwall, England Domestic Serv
George H. HASTON Father In Law M Male 54 Brompton, Middlesex, England Ornamental Writer (Paintor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 10 Orpingby Rd
Census Place London, Middlesex, England
Family History Library Film 1341059
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0274 / 38
Page Number 23

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2009 21:31

soooo

if she married or died, it was after 1911

that information would have been useful right at the beginning!!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2009 21:35

you might have to do a search quarter by quarter, year by year of the Complete index to deaths on ancestry

sylvia

Travelman

Travelman Report 3 Sep 2009 21:55

Yes Ann that is the right family thanks very much for looking....... and Sylvia ............. I won't even bother to respond to your sarcasm.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Sep 2009 22:00

don't think she is sarcastic really David - what she says is right

am wondering what Aerated bread is?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2009 22:04

I actually was not being sarcastic

I was stating the fact that it is much more helpful if you put up ALL the information in the first message rahter than having it all drawn out bit by bit.

sylvia

Travelman

Travelman Report 3 Sep 2009 22:48

So Sylvia "rahter than having it all drawn out bit by bit" I assume you mean rather?

I posted at 19:34 and then 14 minutes later at 19:48 I updated regarding the single status in 1911...... is that really drawn out?

I am really sorry Sylvia if you had spent 14 minutes researching my Great Aunt when you assume I had more information at 19:34 but withheld it. In fact I remembered I must check 1911 to help anyone in my research when Ann kindly replied to my request.

I am fully aware I have to check quarter by quarter year by year but thought there may be resources out there that may produce a quicker answer.

And finally Anne "am wondering what Aerated bread is?" Thanks!

Frankly I am disgusted at the rude response I have had to a very simple request with plenty of please and thank you's on my part.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2009 01:19

David

I am so very sorry if we have upset you

I am ever so sorry that I misspelled "rather" ........ I have to admit that I neglected to check my spelling before posting the message!

What a pity .... and what a terrible person I am!

But it gave you the chance to tell me off! Did you enjoy that chance?

Yes, I had spent several minutes looking for your Ethel Irene Gauntlett, on 3 sites to which I have access ...... so, yes, you waiting almost a quarter of an hour before adding the extra information was "drawn out" in that I wasted that time. Time I could have used in looking at the correct period, or in helping another person ..... or heaven forfend, in doing my own research!

I think Ann of GG was really just being curious in wanting to know what "Aerated Bread" was

we do get curious if we come across a phrase we haven't seen before

Please do note however that she is ANN not Anne .......... that is a rather worse spelling mistake than "rahter" methinks.

Frankly, I am disgusted at the rude manner in which our attempts to help you BETTER and FASTER have been received.

sylvia

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Sep 2009 01:32

I was curious - nothing more - never heard of aerated bread before!!!!

Travelman

Travelman Report 4 Sep 2009 10:05

Hi Ann

William was a manager of a bakery call the Aerated Bread Company from what I can gather.

Thanks for you efforts once again.

David

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2009 18:17

For Ann

The Aerated Bread Company Ltd (A.B.C.) was founded in the United Kingdom (U.K.) in 1862 by Dr. John Dauglish. Its aim was to mass produce healthy, additive-free breads using a new bread leavening technology he invented.

Dauglish's system was a YEAST-FREE, carbonic acid gas (i.e., carbon dioxide) method of bread making: "Nothing but flour, water, a little salt and gas — no sweat! It was liked by many."

He established that if one could introduce carbon dioxide to bread making — by dissolving it into solution in water — this would eliminate the need for fermentation, dramatically reduce the need for physical contact with the dough on the part of the workers, and consequently introduce a greater level of cleanliness into the bread making process.

Dauglish "aimed at the abolition of manual kneeding [sic] with its associated nastiness and dangers to cleanliness and health."

The scientific journal, Nature, reported in 1878 that:

"As to the perfect cleanliness of this mechanical process for making bread there can be no question; it is immeasurably superior to the barbarous and old, but as Dr. Richardson remarked, not “time-honoured system of kneading dough by the hands and feet of the workman.”."

The method was also cheaper, because it eliminated some steps .... so A.B.C could sell its bread for less than its' competitors, which led to these others promoting their bread with ads such as "buy the bread with the gin in it". This was at a time when gin was thought to have medicinal properties since it was made from juniper berries.

The traditional fermentation bakers neglected to inform the readers of these placard adverts that virtually all of the alcohol dissipates in the extreme heat of the ovens.

The company ceased operation in the 1980s.

sylvia

Gee

Gee Report 4 Sep 2009 18:32

Aerated Bread ............

CRUMPETS!!!

Sorry, joke!

x

Gee

Gee Report 4 Sep 2009 18:47

you might have this already but hey...

1901 England Census
about Ethel I Gauntlett
Name: Ethel I Gauntlett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William H
Mother's Name: Sarah A
Where born: Islington, London, England

Civil parish: Islington
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: London

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Islington
Sub-registration district: Upper Holloway
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 136
Household Members: Name Age
William H Gauntlett 58 Bakery man?? could be manufacturer
Sarah A Gauntlett 50
Albert E Gauntlett 25
Mabel A Gauntlett 24
Alice L Gauntlett 22
Alfred J Gauntlett 19
Helen J Gauntlett 19
Frederick S Gauntlett 16
Leonard M Gauntlett 15
Ethel I Gauntlett 11

Thought I better make amends for the 'crumpet' joke!!

x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Sep 2009 20:32

and so I should think!!!!!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Sep 2009 20:49

So how many fingers did it take to type THAT Ann??????

Edit:: this is relating to a certain wasp sting.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Sep 2009 20:53

There are at least 4 other people who have this lady in their tree on this site. It may be worth contacting them to see if they have the information you require.

Travelman

Travelman Report 4 Sep 2009 21:35

Thanks Ginny and Cynthia ...I am in touch with other GR relations/members who have Ethel in their tree but it seems they have drawn a blank like me Cynthia.

Not to worry I will get there in the end ;)

David