Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Dr Gilchrist

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Feb 2008 18:25

I am trying to find a DR Gilchrist in or around the Liverpool area. My Grandmother was illegitimate, born in 1889, and no father was recorded. However it was passed down that when my great grandmother was employed as a domestic servant in the home of a DR Gilchrist, she became pregnant to the doctor's son. My Grandmother went to see her father on at least one occasion, he was also a doctor, or possibly a dentist.

I know this is vague, but I would appreciate any information.

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Feb 2008 18:57

I've had a quick look at the 1881 England census without any luck. I tried Gilchrist plus keyword doctor - none found. I also tried looking for Gilchrist in Lancashire. There were over 200, so I limited it to male heads of household, which brought it down to 40. None of these had an occupation remotely medical. It may be that the one you are looking for was not practising in Liverpool as early as 1881. Many of the Gilchrists I looked at came from Scotland. I think the Society of Genealogists has lists of doctors, but I'm not sure whether that would include Scottish doctors.

Have you looked for trade directories of the period?

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Feb 2008 19:19

Many thanks for your help. I have found a George C Gilchrist who was a surgeon on the 1881 census, living in York, born in Newcastle. He has a son, John Dobson Gilchrist who is about the right age. Another possibility is a Robert Gilchrist, physician and surgeon on the 1891 census, living in Bolton, born in Paisley. I have only looked at directories online, and can't locate one for the Liverpool area for the period between 1888 and 1889. Can you help?

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Feb 2008 19:25

Hi Nicola,

Have just located Robert b Paisley, and came back to your thread...but of course Bolton is a fair way from Liverpool and he is not old enough to be the grandfather doctor.

George C and John D sound hopeful. Have you found them in 1891?

The local libraries often have trade directories for their area. It may be worth a call to the central Liverpool library - I'll see if I can find a tel number.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Feb 2008 19:37

I looked on the 1891 census, but didn't find a doctor in Liverpool area. Also looked at historical directories site, and searched a directory for Liverpool for 1894. Nothing there either. As well as the normal directories, there was also a medical directory listing doctors nationwide, but not sure when it started.

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Feb 2008 19:38

Hmm, looks like George Cuthbert Gilchrist died in York in 1886:

Name: George Cuthbert Gilchrist
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Year of Registration: 1886
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 41
District: York
County: Yorkshire - East Riding, Yorkshire - North Riding, North Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 18

I'll have a look for John D.

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Feb 2008 19:42

The contact details for the library are:

General enquiries
Address Central Library
William Brown Street
Liverpool
L3 8EW

Phone 0151 233 5829
E-mail [email protected]

However, there is a note that there is a refurbishment planned (and perhaps ongoing?) It is not clear whether they would be able to help at present - but worth a call to check?

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Feb 2008 19:49

Hi Ivy and Ann
Thanks for your help. George looks like a dead end, but I'll keep looking. I'll try and find the Medical directory, maybe she went further afield, Wales was rumoured a one point. Thanks again.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Feb 2008 19:55

Nicola

I'm going to National Archives tomorrow, and I know they have copies of the Medical Directory, so I'll try and have a look for you.

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Feb 2008 20:01

That's really kind Ann, thank you its much appreciated. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Feb 2008 20:12

Hi Nicola,

If she did go further afield, then Robert Gilchrist may be a possible. He is an assistant to William Court in Bolton in 1881, and there are servants from as far afield as Shropshire. In 1891 his brother is living there (OK, brother not son) and is a professional man (although accountant, not doctor/dentist).

The 1901 census also has Harry G L Gilchrist in Cumberland (b 1862 - so would be the son if there is a fit there).

(Apologies Ann, that's the second time I've posted without seeing your earlier entries!)

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Feb 2008 20:21

No problem, Ivy! Just hope there is a directory for the right period, and he's listed!

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Feb 2008 16:27

Nicola

Had a look at the earliest Medical Directory they had at Kew, which was for 1895. There were 3 Gilchrists who were Doctors in England. Harry Gordon Leigh Gilchrist - no address, qualified 1885, Thomas Blackadder (!!) Gilchrist, living in Conisborough Yorks, and Robert Munn Gilchrist, who I see someone on here found on a census. His address is 1895 was Gordon House, Derby St, Bolton-Le-Moors. He seems the most likely as Harry seems too young, and Thomas wasn't in the right area. I then looked up Robert Munn Gilchrists will in the Probate Index. He died 15 Sept 1918. Probate was granted Manchester 1 Mar to Selina Gilchrist, widow, and Thomas Gilchrist, printer and publisher.

Perhaps Thomas Gilchrist was the culprit??? Might be worth getting his will - obviously we need to find out when he died, first!- to see who he left his money to. Wonder also whether Robert's will would mention anything?

Nicola

Nicola Report 9 Feb 2008 20:58

Sorry Ann - only just picked up your message. You're right, Robert and Thomas do look like possible candidates, I'll certainly look in to it. But Harry could also be guilty as Louisa was only 17 when it happened, however he seems to have been in Carlisle on the 1913 register. Oh well, I didn't think it would be easy!
Thanks again for your help.
Kind regards
Nicola

Ivy

Ivy Report 10 Feb 2008 07:50

Hi Nicola and Ann

I've had another look at Harry Gilchrist following your findings. Although he was in Cumberland from 1891 until his death in 1918, he was born in Manchester and his first child Samuel was also born in Manchester, in 1888 [Edited - Prestwich reg dist]. It seems as if Manchester would be the right area whether the doctor is Robert or Harry.

Nicola

Nicola Report 10 Feb 2008 12:06

Hi Ivy and Ann
I also found Harry Gilchrist on the 1891 Census and Samuel's birth details - it certaintly puts a different slant on things. We always thought the father was of a similar age, but this man was married with a young baby. Maybe this is why we never got clear details.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Feb 2008 14:46

Who is Samuel?? Did Harry die in 1918 as well as Robert Munn? I'm confused by both of the last 2 posts!

Ivy

Ivy Report 10 Feb 2008 14:53

Hi Ann,

Samuel Gordon Gilchrist was born around 1888 in Manchester. He is with his parents Harry G(ordon) L(eigh) Gilchrist (the doctor you found who qualified in 1885) and Thirza (nee Leigh) in Carlisle/Stanwix in 1891 and 1901.

Yes, Harry too seems to have died in 1918.

For someone who had so many initials, HGL Gilchrist seems fairly unfindable before 1885!

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Feb 2008 14:56

Thanks for the explanation, Ivy!

Nicola

Nicola Report 10 Feb 2008 16:14

Hi Ivy and Ann,
I think I've found our elusive Harry on the 1881 census - his name is Henry and he does not use his middle names.
Name :GILCHRIST, Henry
R'ship to head :Visitor
Single M 22
Born:Manchester Lancashire

Address: Pennington House, Pennington