Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hilda Givens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilda

Hilda Report 6 Nov 2005 21:43

Looking for Harriet Bertha Givens , Born 1910 in Middlesbrough Clevland .Her father was George Givens Born Newcastle on tyne.HE died in middlebrough 1913. Her mothers name was Sarah Jane nee Oliver. Sarah remmaried in1919 To Richard Warwick.They lived 18 Guerney Street Middlesbrough.Harriet had a child born 1927 who was placed in middesbrough workhouse or childrens Home and was later addopted.From then on Harriet Dissapears Any info Greatly recieved. M givens

Belinda

Belinda Report 6 Oct 2017 21:10

Hello Hilda,
Harriet Bertha Givens is my grandmother, sadly she died in 1973. My mother is her daughter, and she was born in 1929 in London. She knew nothing of the child born in 1927, but would be interested to find out , if that’s possible. I wish I could have found your post earlier, but it was literally just today. Hope it’s not too late. B Breden

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2017 21:23

Belinda,

Hilda posted this nearly 12 years ago and didn't post again so it's unlikely that she is watching this thread or that she is still a member of Genes.

You could try to contact her by clicking on her name and sending a private message. If (and it's a very big if) she still has the same email address that she registered with Genes then she should be notified by Genes that she has a message waiting from you. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Oct 2017 21:25

Welcome to the boards, Belinda.

It's not likely that Hilda will be looking for replies here after 12 years, and may not even be a member any more.

You can try sending her a private message (click on her name at the top of her post).
If she still accesses the email address she registered with GR, she will be notified that there's a message from you.
With luck, she'll receive, read and reply to it.

Good luck!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Oct 2017 21:29

Looks like the child was a son, Maxwell H, born in Leeds.

You can see the birth record on FreeBMD - search births for 1927, with Givens as both child's and mother's surname.
If you order a copy from GRO, you can verify the mother's full name, to see if that is the correct child.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Oct 2017 21:33

If that's the right child, it appears he kept his birth name and died in 2001:

Maxwell Hyman Givens
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Maxwell Hyman Givens
Death Age: 74
Birth Date: 17 Aug 1927
Registration Date: Oct 2001
Registration district: Hereford
Inferred County: Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Register Number: B32D
District and Subdistrict: 5161B
Entry Number: 34

Perhaps he's not the right child - it's unusual for an adopted child to keep the same name. Maybe he was only fostered, or stayed in a children's home.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Oct 2017 21:36

There are three possible Maxwell H Givens marriages:

1949 in Sunderland; 1975 in Kington, Herefordshire; 1989 in Newport, Monmouthshire.

I can only see one Maxwell H Givens birth, so maybe he married three times.

The first marriage produced two sons and a daughter, all in Sunderland, 1950, 1951. 1953

EDIT:

The Sunderland marriage is also listed with groom's name as Laurence M H Givens.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Oct 2017 21:44

Maxwell or M H Givens is in phone books in Kington 1972-76, and in Newport 1984.