Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur Good . Canada to U.S.A

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 6 Jul 2009 21:36

I have found what I believe to be Arthur Good's death in 1982 in Florida on family search. Arthur was born in 1903 in Scotland and went to Canada with his family re the 1911 Canadian census
I wonder if someone could tell me how I could find out when he went to U.S.A. and if he married there.

Thank yoy
jean

alviegal

alviegal Report 6 Jul 2009 21:42

Do you think this might be him in 1911? He is a salesman but his birth date does look like 1903.

1911 Census of Canada
about Arthur Good
Name: Arthur Good
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: May 1903
Birthplace: Scotland
Relation to Head of House: Lodger
Tribal: Scotch (Scotish)
Province: Ontario
District: Toronto South
District Number: 127
Sub-District: Ward four
Sub-District Number: 45
Place of Habitation: 154 John St
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Millo 66
Annie Millo 56
Grace Millo 19
David Williams 18
Caraday Raydwen 24
John Evans 30
Robert Morrison 32
Eileen Morrison 25
>>>Arthur Good 18
Ada Good 20
Edward Good 13

View

Going to Canada?

Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960
Name: Arthur GOOD
Date of departure: 29 April 1911
Port of departure: Glasgow
Destination port: Quebec
Destination country: Canada
Date of Birth: 1904 (calculated from age)
Marital Status:
Sex: Male
Notes:
Passenger recorded on: Page 21 of 29
The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: -
Margaret GOOD 34
Ada GOOD 9
Edward GOOD 11
Geo E GOOD 38 mason
Margt GOOD 11
Ship: GRAMPIAN
Official Number: 124220
Master's name: John Williams
Steamship Line: Allan Line Steamship Co Ltd
Where bound: Montreal, Canada
Square feet: 43293
Registered tonnage: 7032
Passengers on voyage: 1180

Liz

Jean

Jean Report 6 Jul 2009 22:04

Hi Liz,
Thank you for replying, yes this is him in 1911 with his brother and sister.
All the family stayed in Canada except for brother Edward who went to the states in 1922 and married there, but I know nothing about Arthur .

regards
jean

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Jul 2009 01:54

Here are the 1911 census images that alviegal found:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e002028433.pdf
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e002028434.pdf

Ada's dob has been altered to read Feb 1891 and Edward's altered to Dec 1897.
Arthur's has not been altered and reads May 1908 and his age is 18.
I think the enumerator has made an error, and his dob should read May 1893.
(This page of the census was done 2-3/6/1911, and is supposed to reflect the status on 1/6/1911)
I think the 1908 should appear in his y.o.immigration column, which has been left blank for all 3, although their pob=Scotland for all 3.

Arthur is a Salesman in a Butcher Store, which matches his 10-xx-18 code Ada is an Operator at a White Ware place, and her code 7-xx-89 matches White wear maker. I'm not sure what this is - undergarments perhaps?

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1911/001003-130-e.html
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1911/001003-1200-e.html

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Jul 2009 02:50

Here's the death for the one in 1982:

Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Arthur Good
Death Date: 23 Aug 1982
County of Death: Broward
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 78
Race: White
Birth Date: 7 May 1904

The Social Security Death Index has a different birth year:

Social Security Death Index
about Arthur Good
SSN: 263-58-3898
Last Residence: 33313 Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida, United States of America
Born: 7 May 1903
Last Benefit: 33313 Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida, United States of America
Died: Aug 1982
State (Year) SSN issued: Florida

Rose

Jean

Jean Report 7 Jul 2009 10:42

mgnv,
Thank you for very much for the information,
i do have the birth certificates for all the Good children who were all born in Scotland.
Edward b. 7 . 12. 1897
Ada b. 3 . 2 . 1900
Margaret b. 16 . 1. 1897
Arthur b. 7 . 5. 1903
I will take a look at the website you have given me.
regards
jean

Jean

Jean Report 7 Jul 2009 10:47

Portland Rose,
Thank you for the information on Arthur's death, I am presuming it is him going by the d.o.b. I know his brother went from Canada to U.S.A in 1922 and married there, he died in 1968 in Florida. I am wondering if Arthur went with his brother in 1922 and if he married and had children in America.
regards
jean

Jean

Jean Report 7 Jul 2009 15:17

n

Jean

Jean Report 7 Jul 2009 21:47

n

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Jul 2009 22:49

Do you know where in the US Edward first settled? Have you looked for him in the 1930 US census?

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=6224

It would help if you knew his middle initial and his wife's name.

Arthur might then be in the same vicinity. And of course you could also search for him independently, by date and place of birth.

Sorry I don't have US info access at Ancestry, but someone might be able to try.

Jean

Jean Report 8 Jul 2009 09:35

HiJaneyCanuck,
Thank you for replying,
I have Edward on the 1930 census living with his wife Evelyn nee Applegate and their young daughter Margaret b. 1929, but I know they 3 children possibly after 1928 as that is when they married, they are living in Seabright, Monmouth New Jersey, but no sign of Arthur, unfortunatley I too don't have access to U.S. records,
regards
jean

Jean

Jean Report 12 Jul 2009 11:37

n

Jean

Jean Report 30 Oct 2009 21:48

Still looking for Arthur Good in U.S.A.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Oct 2009 22:00

A lot of Canadians move down to Florida when they retire to get away from the snow and the cold. We call them "Snowbirds". Perhaps that's what Arthur did?

Jean

Jean Report 30 Oct 2009 22:14

I think that's what he must have done , Lucky old him , if he did.

Love the name "Snowbird "

Jean

Jean

Jean Report 20 Nov 2009 11:30

n

Jean

Jean Report 22 Mar 2010 13:50

Hi ,
I am still looking for Arthur Good.
The death I found is most certainly him , it was verified by distant relative , but we still have no idea where he was between 1911 in Canada and his death in Florida .
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for him .
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
jean

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 14:49

The Social Security death record Portland Rose gave shows that the SS number was issued in Florida but apparently doesn't say what year it was issued. That's a huge drag of a missing bit of info.

If he had a SS number he wasn't likely just a "snowbird" -- a Canadian retiree who spent winters in Florida. (Cdns can spend up to 6 months a year in the US as visitors, i.e. without having to get immigration status, and also without losing their benefits in Canada, like health insurance.) He would have had to have some sort of permanent status in the US, and that means he could have emigrated there from Canada any time after 1911!

Is it possible to check that record at Ancestry further to make sure there is no info about when the Social Security number was issued? I wonder whether the number itself would give a clue - presumably they're issued in numerical order, so it might be possible to determine the year from the number. Can that index at Ancestry be searched by number, to find nearby numbers and when they were issued? One problem might be that he could have been issued the number when he was, say, 60, while most people in the US would be issued them when they were children or teenagers, so those people would mostly still be living ...

I think that number might be your very best clue to when he moved to the US, if it can be associated with a year of issue.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Mar 2010 14:52

If you go to

http://www.whitepages.com

and search for surname Good in Fort Lauderdale, you'll find 18 listings.

You could always send out a form letter enquiring about any connection with Arthur Good!

Btw, there are US snowbirds as well -- people who lived in the orthern states who move to Florida when they retire -- and he might very well have been one of them. I'd guess there's a very good chance he was. So he might have been anywhere else when he first emigrated to the US, and any kids he had would likely be there, wherever that was, rather than in Florida, assuming he didn't move to Florida from Canada late in life without his kids.

Jean

Jean Report 22 Mar 2010 14:53

JaneyCanuck,

Thank you I will get onto right now.
jean

Thanks for the info on the website i will take a look