Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Gow (nee Adams)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne in Perth

Lynne in Perth Report 29 Oct 2007 10:59

Hi All! Can someone please help me with some look-ups:

Margaret Gow (nee Adams) born approx 1852.
Her husband was William Gow born approx 1852 Lintrathern Forfarshire (Angus) Scotland.
They were married on 04Jan1876, both aged 24, in Dundee, District of St Andrew (Statutory marriages 282/04 0031).

Her parents were Charles Adams and Catherine Adams (nee Anderson).

The information I would love some help with is:
Per the 1881 and 1891 Scotland Censuses, Margaret was not with the rest of the family (her husband and children), but I can't find where she was. Can anyone else find her in the Census records please?

I would also love to know her date and place of birth details and those of her parents, also her husband William's date of birth.

Thanks in advance - any help would be much appreciated.
Lynne

Glenys

Glenys Report 29 Oct 2007 11:36

Margaret Gow in 1891 census?was she a music teacher?
Estimated birth year: abt 1852
Relationship: Lodger
Where born: Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
Registration Number: 168/1
Registration district: St Nicholas
Civil parish: Aberdeen St Nicholas
County: Aberdeenshire
Address: 2 Blacks Buildin
ED: 25
Page: 10 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 73
Line: 9
Roll: CSSCT1891_49
Household Members: Name Age
Margaret Gow 39
Alexr F Smith 13
Catherine Smith 22
Henry Smith 4
Jane Ann Smith 18
Mary Smith 16
Robert Smith 19
Thomas Smith 45
Thomas Smith 10

Lynne in Perth

Lynne in Perth Report 29 Oct 2007 11:54

Hi Glenys,
Thanks for looking that up for me. I'm not sure whether it is her or not. Her husband and kids were living in Dundee, which is a fair distance away.

1891 Census information for them is:
Name: William Gow
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852
Relationship: Head
Where born: Lintrathen, Forfarshire
Registration Number: 282/3
Registration district: St Clement
Civil Parish: Dundee
County: Angus
Address: 14 Stirling St
ED: 19
Page: 29 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 154
Line: 8
Roll: CSSCT1891_92
Household Members: Name Age
Adam Gow 10
James Gow 12
Jane Anderson Gow 13
William Gow 39
William Gow 8
Betsy Smith 24
Catherine C Smith 60

Per William and Margaret's marriage certificate, she was a Powerloom Weaver, common in Dundee. So music teacher seems unlikely, but who knows - her husband was a grocer, so maybe she moved up in the world - but why would she live away, unless they were separated? Because the 8 year old William turned up between the 1881 and 1891 census, it appears that they were together during that time. A mystery!

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`)

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 29 Oct 2007 23:35

On LDS, I couldn't find Margaret Adams/Gow's birth or marriage. But I found William's parents and birth date -

James Gow, m. 24. Apr 1749, Kirkton of Glenisla, Angus, Scotland, to Jane/Jean Grant

Apparently, William was their only child and born on 9 Aug 1851, Lintrathen, Angus, Scotland.

(Bridge of Lintrathen is about 6 miles west of Kirriemuir, J.M. Barrie's birthplace!)

Could it be that Jane/Jean Grant's parents were James Grant and Martha Annand? They married on 6 Jul 1821, Bridgend of Lintrathen, Angus. If so, Jane/Jean was born on 22 Dec 1822, Lintrathen, Angus and they had 6 other children. (LDS)

Would you like the info on the 6 children, or will you look it up yourself? Oooooh, this is fun!!!!!!

Please, please, PLEASE, note that despite the 1891 Census Return, Forfar is a town and Angus is the county.

Lindy.

Lynne in Perth

Lynne in Perth Report 30 Oct 2007 04:44

Hi Lindy,

Thanks - that information is brilliant. I have also done some digging and I have found Margaret and William's marriage. Also she died on 31Oct1884 aged 34, due to Phlhisis (a respiratory disease accompanied by coughing up blood and fainting - maybe due to her work in the Mills). She died at the Dundee Royal Lunatic Asylum which is a bit of a worry!

Re the information you looked up, I think it is all spot on except that I think Jean/Jane Grant was born in Inveravon, Banff (per 1851 census) - there seem to be a lot of Jean/Jane Grants around! I think she must be the one christened on 13Jun1818, Inveravon, Banff, to Thomas Grant and Jane Grant.

Thanks again, Lynne

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 30 Oct 2007 10:38

Hi,

I found this on FreeCen -

Piece: SCT1841/302 Place: Lintrathen -Angus Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Lintrathen Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 3 Page: 7
Address: Balnakeilly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
ADAM James M 45 Farmer Angus
ADAM Euphemia F 35 Outside Census County (1841)
ADAM Helen F 13 Angus
ADAM Eliza F 11 Angus
ADAM Stewart M 10 Angus
ADAM Janet F 8 Angus
ADAM Margeret F 6 Angus
ADAM Jane F 4 Angus
ADAM John M 1 Angus
ADAM Euphemia F 3m Angus
GUILD Isabella F 25 Female Servant Angus
GRANT Janet F 20 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)
ANNAND May F 18 Female Servant Angus

Looks like they are all connected, but no Charles Adams. Jane/Jean/Janet are all the same, when it comes to searching! This one was not born in Angus.

I'll take another look. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

Lindy.

Lynne in Perth

Lynne in Perth Report 30 Oct 2007 12:27

Thanks Lindy,

I really appreciate all your help. I have documented it all and will see what else I can unearth!

Lynne

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 30 Oct 2007 20:30

Hi, Again!

Could this be Catherine Anderson?

Piece: SCT1841/311 Place: Monikie -Angus Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Monikie Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 2 Page: 16
Address: Downieken

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
ANDERSON Andrew M 46 Linen Hand Loom Weaver Angus
ANDERSON Margaret F 44 Angus
ANDERSON Isabella F 11 Angus
ANDERSON Catherine F 9 Angus
ANDERSON Mary F 5 Angus
ANDERSON Elizabeth F 3 Angus

This was on FreeCen. LDS gives Andrew Anderson married on 12 Oct 1821, Auchterhouse, Angus to Mary McDonald with James McDonald Anderson, born 7 Apr 1824, Auchterhouse, Isabella born 22 Sep 1829, Auchterhouse, Catherine born 26 Nov 1831, Auchterhouse, Mary born 12 Apr 1835, Auchterhouse and Elizabeth born 10 Jan 1838, Moneikie. Their mother's name on births is variously Margaret/Mary McDonald/Donald/Nichol.

It seems that weaving moved forward from Hand with Andrew to Power with Margaret. I think I have run out of ideas, now!!!! Going for my tea!!!!

All the Best in your search,
Lindy.