Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Muriel Sheila Therese

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 20 Apr 2011 19:46

I am trying to find any information before 1938, from 1938 onwards I know where she lived and who she married. I put her birth year at around 1915 as she was 30 in 1945 according to her 2nd marriage certificate., her dads name was William.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 20 Apr 2011 19:48

Who did she marry and where was she from please?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2011 19:48

Hello Debbie - Muriel Sheila Therese who? Is one of those her surname (doesn't show on here).

Who did she marry in 1945?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2011 19:50

Ah! - the marriage was registered in her maiden and previous married name (which was which?):

Marriages Dec 1945
Bell Thomas D Williams Islington 1b 466
Bell Thomas D Graham Islington 1b 466
Graham Muriel S T Bell Islington 1b 466
Williams Muriel S T Bell Islington 1b 466

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2011 19:57

Debbie - what was her father's surname on the certificate?

Do you know when and where she died - her death record might help pinpoint her year of birth more accurately.

Debbie

Debbie Report 21 Apr 2011 16:46

Muriel Sheila Therese Graham married:-
Leonard Williams before 1938 but I cant find any records and then they divorced.
Thomas Bell in 1945 and Frederick Yoxen in 1961.
Her fathers name is William Laurence Graham and mother Gertrude Lillian Harrison.
I have checked 1914,15 and 16 for her birth but havent had any luck.

Thanks for your replies

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2011 16:58

Name: Muriel Yoxen
Birth Date: 30 Jun 1915
Death Registration Month/Year: Sep 1994
Age at death (estimated): 79
Registration district: Hastings and Rother
Inferred County: East Sussex
Register number: C52A
District and Subdistrict: 4561C
Entry Number: 252

Flick

Flick Report 21 Apr 2011 17:08

Do you know that she was born in England/Wales?

Where did her parents marry?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2011 17:09

Do you know if she had any siblings?
Jan

Flick

Flick Report 21 Apr 2011 17:15

If you purchase her death cert, you should find out her birthplace........assuming that the info was known accurately by the person who registered the death

Flick

Flick Report 21 Apr 2011 17:19

The only record on freebmd for William laurence Graham is a birth in 1904.....clearly not relevant.

This family must have been in Scotland, Ireland or elsewhere.......

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2011 18:04

Had a wild guess, but not very likely is it? I agree, better to look at Scottish records.

Marriages Sep 1915 (>99%)
Graham William L Ibbetson Bradford 9b 553
Ibbetson Gertrude L Graham Bradford 9b 553

Births Sep 1915 (>99%)
Ibbetson Muriel G Ibbetson Bradford 9b 150

Births Jun 1890 (>99%)
Ibbetson Gertrude Lilian Bradford, Y. 9b 176

Births Jun 1891 (>99%)
GRAHAM William Lawrence Bradford, Y. 9b 162

Mary

Mary Report 21 Apr 2011 18:06

1911??
33,Bowerdean St
Fulham
Peter Graham 1864 Glasgow
Marion married 25 years 1861 glasgow
William L 1889 Glasgow Traveller and Bookeeper.

There is a Gertrude Lillian Harrison born 1890.

Debbie has tree on Ancestry I think with Gertrude 1891 - 1953.

Maryb

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2011 18:11

I would like to know how you know Gertrude's name? It would help to know William's occupation too, on the off-chance he can be found 1911.
Jan

Mary

Mary Report 21 Apr 2011 18:48

Thisis the 1911 one I posted about.
William Lawrie Graham son of Peter and Marion Galloway nee Lawrie.

Peter (Dad ) died 1913 and left £2,252 13s 1d to son William Lawri Comercial traveller ,son Archibald and Thomas kay surgeon.

Marion of Honeypot lane Kingsbury died 1939 left £106. 9 s4d to William lawrie Graham Schoolmaster.

So maybe we can rule that family out!!!

Maryb

EDIT Debbie says William Lawrence Graham in 1945 was a Dental Mechanic,if that is her tree on Ancestry.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2011 19:01

There are one or two vague possibles with a similar occupation but none seem very likely!
Jan

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 21 Apr 2011 20:09

Is this the tree info ?
Name: Gertrude L Graham
Birth: 1891
Death: Jul-Aug-Sep 1953 (Jul 1953) - Islington, London
Spouse: William Laurence Graham

because we still have no info from Debbie ?

and now it says tree withdrawn ?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Apr 2011 20:22

It really would help if Debbie would give complete information. Debbie, it doesn't help that *you* know something, e.g. Muriel's marriages. It makes no sense to ask people for help to find *more* info and ask them to start with *less* info than you have!

You were asked how you know Muriel's mother's name -- ?

Did Muriel have children in either of her first two marriages? Is her birth surname on their birth records Graham?

Do you know anything about when Muriel's parents died? Other children they had? Probably not, but we'd still like to know the answers.

Given the location of Muriel's 1945 marriage, this looks like a possibility for mother Gertrude's death:

Name: Gertrude L Graham
Death Registration Month/Year: 1953
Age at death (estimated): 62 = dob c1891
> Registration district: Islington
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 5c
Page: 733

-edit- I see that is the death shown on the Ancestry tree as posted by Lindsey above while I was typing.

But this birth would have made her 63 on that death date:

Births Mar 1890
Harrison Gertrude Lilian Hull 9d 281

If you don't know when father William died -- no indication on the 1945 marriage certificate that William was deceased?

Is the tree on Ancestry that Mary quoted yours? If not, do you know the tree owner? I don't putz around with trees at Ancestry, myself. If there's info there that relates to this thread, it would be wise to put it here.

I don't think you've told us your connection with Muriel, and that could help guide anyone trying to help.

edit

"and now it says tree withdrawn ?"

So Debbie's reading this thread and just not bothering to acknowledge replies??

Debbie

Debbie Report 22 Apr 2011 16:24

Janey - I have replied to the first set of messages that I recieved, thanks to Cynthia for letting me know how to get to the threads.

I will read through the messages properly and reply to them, and I do have a tree on ancestry.

Muriel is my Grandmother.

Debbie

Debbie Report 22 Apr 2011 16:54

Lindsey I havent withdrawn my tree, I will try to find out why you cant see it.

Gertrude, Laurence and Muriel were all listed as living at 31 Medina Road, Islington in 1938 on the Electoral Roll. There was a John Percy Harrison listed for 1937 only.

Muriels marriage certificate to Thomas Bell states that she was divorced from Leonard but doesnt say when.

Muriel and Leonard had a son 'John Leonard Wiliams' 15 Dec 1938, born 31 Medina Road.

Muriel and Thomas had a daughter 'Josephine Eileen Bell' 20 June 1947, born 141 Blackstock Road. I was also born at this address.

I have been told there is a sister Patricia but I dont know if she is of Leonard or Thomas.

brummiejan - My sisters checked the Hastings certificate and called the home and they said it wasnt her - I am waiting to see the certificate.

I will update my genes tree this evening - once again a big Thank You for your help.