Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry Gunner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Nov 2007 20:53

Hi,

I am trying to find information about my grandfather Henry Gunner (DOB:1910, East London), he died when my mum was eight which would be about 1955 of lung cancer, all contact with his family was lost after his death.

Thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Nov 2007 21:15

You will need to get his marriage or birth certificate to find out his parents names.

The marriage certificate will show the fahters' names and occupations.

His birth certificate will show both parent's names and his mother's maiden name.

I'm not sure where his birth year from.

I looked on the free site www.freebmd.org.uk, and there are NO Hnery Gunner's born in 1910.

There were these two possible ones:-

Births Sep 1909 (>99%)

Gunner Henry John Dartford 2a 612

OR

Births Jun 1911 (>99%)

GUNNER Henry M Southwark 1d 109

Dartford is in Kent, and Southwark is a district in London.

To get the certificate, go to www.gro.gov.uk, and follow instructions for Ordering Certificates Online in the box to the right of the screen.

The GRO reference number you will need is the 2 numbers to the right of the place name.

Each certificate will cost £7.

I would get his marriage certificate first as this will give you the father's name, and then you can see if you can match this to one of the births.

Good luck

sylvia

Natasha

Natasha Report 25 Nov 2007 16:14

was your grandad married to someone called maud?

Natalie

Natalie Report 25 Nov 2007 21:21

Natasha,

Maud was my grandmother who died in 1984.

Kind regards

Natalie

Natalie

Natalie Report 25 Nov 2007 21:25

Sylvia,

Thank you for the advice, I will give the marriage cert a try. As you can see from the below message there may be a link with Natasha.

Kind regards
Natalie