Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DEAD END CARN'T FIND HANKINSON

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 13 Jan 2008 20:38

looking for info on betty hankinson born 1932 doncaster and lived in bethnal green.
also her sister beryl hankinson born 1938 doncaster who i think has now passed away.

i belive these two woman are my nans sister's.my nan wont tell me anythink to help with the family tree all she has said is that she was brought down from doncaster to dr barnardo,s at stepney when she was 3 then fostered out about a year later to a women called alice leeds from ashford kent. this is all the info she will give.

i have found this alice on the 1901 cesus but its not really her i want to know about its her real parent i need to know about.

i dont think my nan relise how good the internet is at finding things out.
but i found her sister names all i need to do know is find a living relation of there's who may know the fall story.if anyone knows a good way of going about this please tell me as im only good at going back in the tree not coming forward.

thanks for taking the time to read this.
bubbles

Christopher

Christopher Report 13 Jan 2008 21:16

Betty Hankinson, born Sept Q 1932, Doncaster 9c 1293 Mothers maiden name, Roberts

Beryl Hankinson, born Sept q 1938, Doncaster 9c 1156, Mothers maiden name Roberts

Looks like sisters, so you need the birth certificates for fathers name.

Chris

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 13 Jan 2008 21:22

hi thanks for reply my nans cert is the same but she said her mum was already pregnant with her when she married this man dont know how she would know this.. i have looked for there marriage to see if she was but carnt find one. my nan said she was the only one put in care. thats why i was try to trace the sisters as they might know more about it.

regards
bubbles

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 13 Jan 2008 22:21

n

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Jan 2008 22:36

It may be stating the obvious -- but have you contacted (or maybe you know) the other person at GR who has Betty Hankinson in her tree?

There's probably nothing for it but to trawl through the untranscribed pages of the GRO index looking for their marriages, to find what their surnames would be now.

You can take a 14-day free trial subscription at Ancestry.co.uk to do that. You download the image for each quarter of each year starting when they might have married, and look for their names.

Also, if you have their exact dates of birth, you could search the post-1984 death index to see whether they died between 1984 and 2005 -- it is searchable on line, unlike the years when they would have married. With their exact birthdates, if they have died, it might even be possible to identify the death without their married surnames. Somebody here can do that, with the DOB.

If one or both of them has died, the death certificate could have information about living family.

Good luck.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Jan 2008 22:37

Just to add -- if you have the full names of the parents, Hankinson and Roberts, and if one or both of them survived to 1984, that death could possibly be identified as well.

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 13 Jan 2008 22:58

thanks for your help kathryn

i had put betty name in and serched other trees but none of them came back as being born in doncaster.

i never thought to send of for there birth certs for exact dates of births to then try and get there deaths.

im already a member on ancestry and i have spent the last 3 days going through the marriages trying to find who they might of been married to but i just carnt seem to find them.

im gonna send of for one of there birth certs now

thanks again

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Jan 2008 23:12

You're very welcome! If there has been a death, the other thing to look for is a published obituary, in newspaper archives at a public library. That would certainly have family info.

On the names in trees here -- for Betty there is yours, plus this one:

Betty 1932 Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, England

People don't always know exactly where someone was born -- and in fact that is the same as yours, just missing the "Doncaster". I would think it very likely that it's the same person.

Steph

Steph Report 13 Jan 2008 23:19

Could this be a marriage for Beryl presuming she stayed in Doncaster

March Qtr
Beryl Hankinson m Oakey Booth
Doncaster, vol 2b, page 944

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 13 Jan 2008 23:32

hi kathryn and steph

i have just sent an email to the other person so hopefully i will hear from them soon i will let you know if i do. i never relised doncaster was in yorkshire.if its any where out of london them im afaid to say my geography is not good.

steph thanks i will have to send of for cert to make sure its the same beryl as i dont have a clue who she married.

thanks again

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Jan 2008 23:42

Blind leading the blind, there -- I'm in Canada. ;)

Will look forward to good news. (Just be sure to post it here, not by private message!)

Oh, and the good news so far is: no death of a Beryl Booth born 1938, since 1984.

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 13 Jan 2008 23:53

thank for checking the death for me i was just about to do that but now i wont have to.

im going to look for a death for the husband just to make sure he never died young and then her re-marry again and end up with another name for me to serch with and im going to also see if they had any children.

i will let you know as soon as i find anything out.
hopfully the lady with the other tree will get back to me tomorrow i just hope she is still a member.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jan 2008 00:09

Steph -- what year was that marriage??

"Oakey Booth" was the husband's name? A bit of an odd one ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jan 2008 00:13

Someone has in a tree at GR:

Oakey Booth 1919 WORKSOP Nottinghamshire England

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 14 Jan 2008 00:21

the marriage was 1957.

just found an oakey booth died doncaster 1963 but it has his age as 75 seems just a bit to old for her to of married him it might be his father so im gonna keep checking to see if i find another oakey

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jan 2008 00:28

I wondered whether this birth might be related, and possibly an error in the GRO:

Name: Oakley Jozef Booth
Mother's Maiden Surname: Booth
Date of Registration: Apr 2004
Registration district: Stoke On Trent
Registration county (inferred): Staffordshire
Register number: C112F
District and Subdistrict: 737/1C
Entry Number: 112

Mother not married, unfortunately, and the birth is too recent to be able to get the certificate, as I understand it. Possibly a newspaper birth announcement though?

FreeBMD has no Oakey (or Oakley) Booth being born, marrying or dying. And no Oakey-Booth marriage, which could have explained the name.

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 14 Jan 2008 00:41

i couldn't find anythning on freebmd so im serching through all the originals one by one.

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 14 Jan 2008 01:08

just finished going through them all and no other oakey has died befor 1983 other than that one in 1963.
if in a couple of days i dont get no reply from the other tree owner i think i will have to send for there marriage cert to see if she did marry a man twice her age,if she did i will have to then see if she remarried from 1963 onwards.

but firstly tomorrow i will check to see if he has died since 1983.

going to bed now but will check back tomorrow afternoon.

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 14 Jan 2008 13:40

today i carnt seem to find anything new out about them.

i think i will just have to wait and see if that lady replys untill the bith cert arrives and then i will be able to check if anyone has there parents in there tree and go from there.

as soon as i know anything more i will let everyone know.

thanks for all your help.

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 14 Jan 2008 19:18

hi kathryn

just got my nan's birth cert through and its very intresting it says as follows

birth 28 jan 1931
name kathleen j hankinson
farther thomas henry knowles
mother edith evelyn hankinson formerly roberts

does this mean she was married to a hankinson but had her child by a knowles but couldnt give them his name because of not being married to him but was allowed to name him as father.

please let me know if this is right as im a bit confused of how the law worked back then