Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find hardy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Feb 2006 15:58

FRANK HARDY I might be on a wild good chase with this request but here goes. The Frank Hardy I'm trying to find info on was in the Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. He enlisted at Rotherham and his rank was Gunner. He died 27th Sept 1916 in France I believe. How do I find out how old he was, and where he came from. The problem I have is that on my grandma's birth cert a certain Frank Hardy is named as the father, but then his name has been crossed out now I'm wondering if the above Frank could be the one as I was told that the father was a soldier who was killed in the war. My grandma's mum gave birth in 1915 to my grandma but then went on to marry another man also in 1916, was this why Franks name was crossed off the birth cert, though my grandma didn't take either of the mens names, she had her mothers maiden name. My link to Frank, if t is the right one, would be that he is my G Grandad even though he didn't marry my G Gradma Eleonor Stubbs. The name, the date, the area and the war all seem to fit but I need confirmation before I put him in my tree, can anyone please help. Thanks for reading my essay.

Steven

Steven Report 23 Dec 2007 18:35

Hello Margaret.
I have just joined genes reunited and noticed your post.
there are 2 coincidences here, first of all my name is Steven Holmes from Rotherham and my maternal grandmother was called Florence Malinda Hardy who married George Frederick Holmes both from Rotherham.
Florence was from a village called greasebro.
I do not have much knowledge on the Hardy family but a friend of mine has been researching the Hardy family for many years and has records of all the family members,I could put you in touch with her after gaining her permission of course.
I do recall that the male members were for generations Stone masons and I think I may have seen the name Frank Hardy crop up.
regards
Steven Holmes

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 23 Dec 2007 18:44

Commonwealth War Graves Site..there are quite a few F Hardy though..I don't know if this is yours.

HARDY, FRANK
Initials: F
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "D" Bty. 247th Bde.
Date of Death: 27/09/1916
Service No: 27494
Additional information: Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Hardy, of Rawmarsh, Rotherham.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 22.
Cemetery: MARTINSART BRITISH CEMETERY

Suzanne

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 23 Dec 2007 18:49

Here's another one.

Suzanne

HARDY, FRANK HASTINGS
Initials: F H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 26/09/1916
Service No: 23659
Additional information: Son of the late Arthur and Harriet Hardy, of Grimsby.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. D. 25.
Cemetery: BRONFAY FARM MILITARY CEMETERY, BRAY-SUR-SOMME