Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Higgins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 18 Sep 2004 00:58

Looking for relatives of Percy Higgins whose birth was registered in Shepton Mallet, Somerset in 1910, born in either east or west Pennard. Relatives are all around the surrounding areas including Pensford, Glastonbury, East or West Pennard, Keynsham, Kelston, Bath and many in the small villages surrounding Bristol. Born into farming communities and many travelled to look for work. Percy married Edith Barrett who originated from Whitchurch, Bristol, coal merchants were in her family. They met at the pub in the centre of Whitchurch, the house where she lived with her parents still stands in the high street. Both Percy and Edith are buried in Whitchurch with their daughter Mary who died far too young.

Christopher

Christopher Report 17 Sep 2007 01:17

Dear Susan,

I have a remote entry in my own 'Dyke' tree for a 'Nancy Higgins'; (1753- ) who was my direct Gr Gr Gr Grandmother by marriage. She was married to my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather; John Dyke; (1750- ) of Pilton, Somerset, in about 1776.

I do know that my own 'Dyke' family were mainly Stone-masons in the 18th century who lived & worked for many years at Pilton throughout several generations.

I also believe that East & West Pennard and Glastonbury which are all prominent Somerset towns/settlements in Somerset (and from where some of your 'Higgins' forebears may originate) are also situated quite close to the Pilton area There may therefore, be some distant but definite connection between our respective families.

The 'Dyke' family later moved to Keinton Mandeville, Somerset in about 1790 to seek similar work in the local Keinton Mandeville Stone Quarries.

Later on, some of my more recent 'Dyke' forebears entered the 'Pub' trade and became well-known Licencees at KM. For two generations, they ran the 'Three Old Castles' Inn at KM which still exists! My Grandfather; Henry Edward Dyke; (1867-1935) eventually moved in about 1908, to the 'Downside Inn' on the Radstock Road, near Shepton Mallet, Somerset.

My own late Father; Leslie Edgar Dyke; (1902-1974) was, however, born at KM. I myself, was born about a 100 miles away at Iver Heath, Bucks in 1939 but was also actually Christened at KM church in August of that year, about a month before WWII began!

If any of the names or places I have mentioned seem familiar to you, please contact me ASAP. In particular, if you have any common, corresponding or mutually shared entries in you own family tree, get in touch as soon as you can.

I have allowed you immediate access to my own 'Dyke' tree and would welcome a similar opportunity to examine your own family details later on.

You can easily reach me on this convenient 'GR' website or [email protected]
Alternatively, you can 'phone me on 01322 551180.

With kind regards,

Chris Dyke.
Bexley, Kent.
17/09/2007.
1:20 AM !!

Josephine

Josephine Report 14 Nov 2007 23:13

dear susan

i am also looking for my grandfather, fredrick henry higgins, was born 12/12/06, he married my nan in bristol her name was oonah monica higgins, she was born 11/08/1914. so far have had no luck tracing my grandfather

josie