Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Oct 2007 18:29

Hi. I am completely stumped. I have looked for the marriage certificate for my gg grandparents William Hutchinson (1824)(also spelled Hutchison) born Berry Burn Mill and Elizabeth Carr (1827) (also seen it spelled Ker and Karr and Kerr), born Newham, Northumberland.
I can track them on the census from 1851 onwards. Their first child was born about 1847 ( William) followed by John (my g granddad) in 1850
I have been to the records office and searched FreeBMD. I have looked up the known variations of their names and not found anything.
Elizabeth's mother is shown living with them on the 1851 census, her name was Catherine Carr.
I am beginning to think that perhaps they didn't actually marry.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Geoff

Denise

Denise Report 28 Oct 2007 18:38

Hi Geoff

Yes I have same problem too several times in tree way past the beginning of civil registration.

Could they have married quite some time after? I have seen examples of marriages many years after all children born although birth certs will show mother maiden name correctly! One family 1st child bn 1886 parents got married 1927!

Any chance this was a service marriage? Not sure if these come up on free BMD, how about Scotland?

Maybe one of them was not free to marry and either had to wait for the death of a spouse or predeceased them.

Denise

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Oct 2007 20:00

Hi, Denise

Thanks for your reply.
I did look about 5 years after Williams birth but I can try further just in case. I did also think that Elizabeth could have been married before but would she have brought a mother in law from a previous marriage to live with a new husband? I assumed not but who knows. Is there anyway of telling?

Geoff

Pete

Pete Report 28 Oct 2007 20:24

What about the 1848 marriage of Elizabeth Carr to William MICTHINSON.

Could the GRO index be a transcription error?

Also, you could buy John's birth cert to identify mother's maiden name and then you'll know if the mother-in-law in the 1851 census is her mother or not.

Pete

Philip

Philip Report 28 Oct 2007 21:07

Hello Geoff Have you tryed Hugh Wallis site Its very use full as well from EIleen

Thomas

Thomas Report 3 Jan 2008 15:56

Hi Geoff,

I recently had this problem but eventually tracked a Matthew Hutchinson who lived in Haltwhistle in 1851 and who married in Scotland. Still awaiting copy of the register from Gretna parish but it is in existance.
Family story is he and his intended travelled there because it was cheaper.... I doubt this was the case but I understand it was quite common for couples to slip over the border to wed.Parental rules, times etc were different.

Bestv wishes
Tom Hutchinson