Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how to find informtion about withness on marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 18:29

i have 2 withness on my grandad marriage cert who i dont known who they are. can any one tell me how i can find out who they are.and were can i look.thank you for your help.

Dea

Dea Report 16 Aug 2008 18:30

When was the marriage?

Who are the witnesses?

Where did it take place?

Who's marriage was it?

We can then try to help.

Dea x

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 20:03

sorry just had to do the tea. the marriage was in the 3nd june in 1923.between herbert edward james and emma jane sartain.in camberwell.the witnesses were richard edward court and the secord one was elizabeth alice james.i never heard of them before.thank you if any one can help.

Dea

Dea Report 16 Aug 2008 20:08

Births Mar 1902
COURT Richard Edward Camberwell 1d 976

Dea x

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 20:08

the residence address on the marriage cert is 296 courmential road.try to read the hand writing.most be in camberwell london

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Aug 2008 20:09

If they were not family members then they were probably just friends of the couple.

If they were old enough you may be able to find them in the 1901 census. If they were born after 1901 then I think you will find it difficult.

You could put the names into the quick search boxes at the top of the page and see if any Genes member has these people in their tree.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Aug 2008 20:10

At a guess I would think the address is more likely to be Commercial Road.

Kath. x

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 20:12

he most have been a friend of my grandparents thank you .

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 20:15

thank you its really hard to read this writing,i try married for the two.i did not think of that.

Dea

Dea Report 16 Aug 2008 20:18

When and where was Herbert Edward born? - who was his father?

Dea x

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 20:22

i try and find elizabeth birth and see if she my grandad sister.the other one is still alive but she cant remember alot i think she 99 this yr.the only one left.thank you ever one for your help.i will try to put my grandad family together.he was born in 1903 and all born in camberwell.father was the same as my grandad.so that a start thank you.debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Aug 2008 20:29

my grandad was born on 24th sep 1903.father name is herbert edward james too.dont know were he was born i know my great grandfather was a brass founder what ever what that means.thank you,

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Aug 2008 22:39

Are you sure your grandad was born in Camberwell? He may have been brought up there but this is the only birth for that name that I can find in 1903:-

Name: Herbert Edward James
Year of Registration: 1903
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
Volume: 5b
Page: 80

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Aug 2008 22:41

There is one born in London which could be a possible for your great grandfather:-

Name: Herbert Edward James
Year of Registration: 1878
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Pancras (1837-1901)
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 1b
Page: 161

Kath. x

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 16 Aug 2008 23:05

Hi Deborah,
It may be that the witnesses may not have been family nor friends of the couple. I have been told by a local historian that people used to be 'professional' witnesses and hang around in the hope of being asked, and be paid to be a witness at a marriage. I have seen it for myself when looking through marriage records on microfilm that the witnesses were the same at most of the marriages on that day.

It may not be so in your grandad's case. Fingers crossed, best wishes.

Deborah

Deborah Report 17 Aug 2008 22:05

thank you everone i bear them all in mind.the other thing i thought is elizabeth alice james my grandad mother.cause i dont know his mother name,? so i think i have to buy his birth cert to see that i think.my grandad was born on the 24th sept 1903.he was 20 when he got married in 1923.thank you once again.