Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albert Alfed James

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sophie Marie

Sophie Marie Report 13 Sep 2008 17:31

Dear All,

Help, I,m trying to find out how to find my grandfarthers Military History. Does any one know who I should contact? He joined at portsmouth before the second world war and went on to service on U boats.

Not sure if I,m allowed to apply for his service record?

Kind Regards

Sophie

Paul

Paul Report 13 Sep 2008 19:17

Hello Sophie,

go to this website - http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html - and click which service you require (i.e. Royal Navy, Army or Air Force) which is half way down the page.

Good luck!.......because I've been trying to do the same for my fathers army records and to put it mildly, the army have been no use whatsoever. They need (they say) the regiment and service number AND £30 just to have a look with no guarantee of a result! I don't know his regiment or service number, and I'll be damned if I'll hand over £30 for nothing at all when my father served this country throughout WW2.......so, as I say, Good luck.