Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian connections, James from Worcestershire.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belinda

Belinda Report 10 Apr 2009 18:47

MY GT. UNCLE ERNEST JAMES EMMIGRATED TO AUSTRALIA WITH CONNECTIONS TO SOMETHING CALLED THE SUNSHINE CLUB, AND BRITISH LEYLAND CAR FACTORY. I KNOW HE WAS BORN IN 1909 IN STOKE WORKS,BROMSGROVE, WORCESTERSHIRE,AND HIS WIFES NAME POSSIBLY EMILY. HIS FATHERS NAME WAS THOMAS JAMES BORN 1853 AND HIS MOTHER EMILY LOUISA PAUTLING OR PANTLING . DOES ANYONE HAVE ACCESS TO ANY AUSTRALIAN RECORDS TO TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT HIM OR HIS FAMILY. HE WAS FROM A LARGE FAMILY BECAUSE HIS FATHER MARRIED TWICE, ERNEST MOM BEING HIS SECOND WIFE. HE WAS POSSIBLY ONE OF EIGHT FROM THE SECOND MARRIAGE., WITH FOUR HALF BROTHERS FROM THE FIRST MARRIAGE.

ANYTHING WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT THIS POSTING.

KIND REGARDS.

Katherine

Katherine Report 10 Apr 2009 22:41

Hello Belinda,
I am assuming that your great uncle's names was Ernest James with James as the surname. British Leyland had its factory in the Sydney suburb of Zetland. The factory is now closed but there is a web site www.technispec.com that lists worker reunions. The email address is out dated but you might try to write to the postal addresses listed.
A middle name might be helpful so you can contact the State Library of New South Wales which has a free online help service called Ask a Librarian and they will check electoral rolls. The name E James is common in the Sydney phone book.
The name Sunshine Club also seems to be a common thing but the Sate Library might be more helpul about that. Good luck. Katherine in Aust.

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Apr 2009 06:34

Hi Belinda ....I noticed on the NSW BMD (on-line) a possible death - Ernest John JAMES d 1971 at Mudgee (reg no. 66119/1971) .....parents names George Thomas & Emily JAMES. ..........If you think this could be your man ..you could ask 'Joy Murrin's Transcription Services' (on-line) to 'search' the cert ...her fee $15. The cert would give lots of info including number of years in Aus/ names/ages of off-spring. .....as Katherine has said - the NSW State Library will check electoral rolls (a few years after their arrival in Aus.) ..Valerie

Belinda

Belinda Report 11 Apr 2009 16:10

Thanks to both of you for replying and giving me the info.
I does look as though you have found him ,especially Valerie the names all tie in lovely.

Thanks again.

Julcoe

Julcoe Report 13 Apr 2009 08:32

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 about Ernest John James
Name: Ernest John James
Electoral Year: 1930 <<<<<<<
State: New South Wales
District: Robertson
Subdistrict: Mudgee
OCCUPATION .. Labourer
ADDRESS .. Ferndale, Yarrabin Rd., Mudgee
with Emily, Home Duties (h/d)
Plus...
@ Ferndale, Yarrabin Rd., Mudgee
George William James, Labourer
Raymond Roy James, Labourer
& Russell Garnett Burnett James, Farmer

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 about Ernest John James
Name: Ernest John James
Electoral Year: 1936 <<<<<<<<<<<
State: New South Wales
District: Gwydir
Subdistrict: Mudgee
OCCUPATION .. Labourer
ADDRESS .. Ferndale, Yarrabin Rd., Mudgee
Plus...
@ Ferndale, Yarrabin Rd., Mudgee
George William James, Labourer
Raymond Roy James, Labourer

No Emily in 1936...
Found this death...

Reg.No./Year .. 10316/1935
Name .. JAMES EMILY
Father .. JOHN
Mother .. SARAH
District .. MUDGEE

Belinda

Belinda Report 4 May 2009 14:00

Sorry its taken me so long to reply Julie, I have got side tracked onto another branch of the family tree and forgot about this.
Thanks for you information, I dont know to much about him yet other than the info I posted. I will chat with older members of the family and see if it rings any bells. Dont hold out much hope because they seemed to keep alot of things to themselves, not very open like the other side of my family.

Once again thanks to everyone who looked at this .