Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stockbrokers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave

Dave Report 21 Jul 2009 16:47

Trying to track down my grandfather but, other than his name, and DOB all that is know about him is that he died before 1918 and he was a stockbroker. Anybody know if there are any stockbroker specific records ?
Thanks in anticipation.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Jul 2009 17:36

Hi Dave,

If you give you Grandfathers details someone maybe able to help...... have you looked on the 1911 census, using his occupation has a reference??

Dee x

cagsie

cagsie Report 21 Jul 2009 17:46

yeah you need to give us his name, year of birth and where born, plus name of his wife is you know it
then we can see if we can trace him through census and/or BMD

Dave

Dave Report 22 Jul 2009 15:58

Many thanks for coming back to me and here is where it gets ultra complicated......first of all I meant great-grandfather (oops). He was called Edward James and was a stockbroker (no idea where). His son was also Edward James and he was a labourer in and around Bristol and I can track him from 1918 until he dies in 1936 in the bristol workhouse.
I know Edward (stockbroker) was dead before 1931 because son Edward married three times and twice refers to his father as a deceased stockbroker. (I have no details of marriage no.1). Son Edward was born either 1872 or 1875 as he lies about his age! I found a possible in the 1911 census, one Edward A James from Cork, Ireland but eventually established his son Edward died in 1934 so wrong family. Any help would be most welcome.....

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jul 2009 16:08

found this

Edward JAMES (AFN: 1NJZ-MTH) Pedigree
Sex: M Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Birth: Abt. 1833

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents
Father: Edward JAMES (AFN: 1NJZ-MNG) Family
Mother: Charlotte COLLIER (AFN: 1NJZ-MPN)

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 22 Jul 2009 16:18

Dave,

Where was Edward JNR born?? Who did he marry and who were the witnesses on the marriage certificates???

Dee xx

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 22 Jul 2009 16:25

this one is a Broker;

Schedule type Last names First names Sex Birth year Age in 1911 District / other County / other Transcript Original page
HOUSEHOLD JAMES EDWARD FOWLER M 1857 54 Winchcomb Gloucestershire

His birth;

Births Dec 1856 (>99%)

James Edward Fowler Kings Norton 6c 385 ( STAFFS)

Dee x

Dave

Dave Report 22 Jul 2009 20:00

Thanks for the input so far. Son of Edwards marriage 1 is unknown but he is a widower when he marries No2 - Ethel Brown on 4/10/1918 - witness is her mother plus another who is unrelated. Marriage No.3 is to Mary Lilian Wall on 29/08/1931 - witnesses are unknown to me - V.Little and F. Hunt. Both marriages in Bristol. We don't know where Edward junior was born which is the real problem, and he lied about his age so could have been born in 1870, 1872 or 1875 but I don't know where. He was in bristol from 1918 until he died. I can't find any stock broker type people in the census in Bristol area. Is it also odd that his father was a stockbroker but that he ended up in the workhouse? It is of course possible that Edward junior lied when he said his father was a stockbroker but he has said the same thing twice with a 13 year gap in between.