Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Jones b1788 d.1843

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Report 28 Sep 2009 02:35

Need any info on John Jones (or could be Evan Jones).

I know that he married Mary Williams 18/10/1808 at Abergwili.

His children are David, John, Catherine, William, Lewis, Nellie, Thomas, Evan, Mary, Ann and Sarah. (I have the details for the children but nothing on John.

His father was John, I think. I don't know anything on his parents or siblings. Can someone dig up something. I'll wait around if you need any questions answered.

Bron

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 28 Sep 2009 02:45

If you have the details for the children please would you post them. We will need all the info we can on this one.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 02:48

Rather a tall order.

Dig up something ... where? With what? Presumably it's his parents you're after?

If he died in 1843, have you found him in the 1841 census? Where else have you looked for the info you want?

Would any of his children have been with him still in 1841? Eleven of them after 1808, so if any were born in the 1820s, possibly. But without their approx birthdates, I wouldn't go looking ... and since 1841 doesn't give place of birth, it probably wouldn't help anyway ...

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 28 Sep 2009 02:52

try this

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Abergwili/index.html

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 02:54

You know, if I were evil-minded, I'd think this was a send-up.

John or maybe Evan Jones married Mary Williams in Wales ...

I have a William Hill in Devon I'll trade!

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 28 Sep 2009 03:01

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

Lewis Jones Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 08 JUL 1811 Abergwili, Carmarthen, Wales

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Griffith Jones Family
Mother: Mrs. Mary Jones

:

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Report 28 Sep 2009 03:25

Hello, I didn't mean any disrespect at all and I apologise.

Children:

David b.1813
John b. 1815
William b1816
Catherine b. 1917
Lewis b.? d.1844
Thomas b.1829 d.1852
Evan b.1830 d.1908
Mary b.1831 d.1897
Nellie b. ? d.1843
Ann b.1835 d.1923
Sarah b. 1838 d.1919

1841 Census - Ceney Hamlet, Villiage of Abergwili, Abergwili Parish

John Jones 55years
Mary Jones 50 years
Lewis 20
Evan 12
Mary 9
Anne 6
Sarah 3

I'm after details on John Jones, his siblings and/or paretns Please.

Thank you

Bronwyn

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Report 28 Sep 2009 03:41

Hello

I have been told that John is Evan in Welsh so hence me saying "or". John JOnes, I was told he was born in Abergwili, Carmarthen, but in those days they were two different places.

I know that Derlwyn Farm was suppose to be where John Jones was born, but can't confirm this.

I know that Lewis and Nellie were buried with their parents - Lewis died 21/07/1841 being 22 so, which make him born 1819.

Hope this will help.
Bron

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 03:47

You may need to wait for our Wales experts to wake up. ;)

Me, I've given up trying to figure out Welsh geography!

Nobody wants to trade for my William Hill of Devon ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 03:53

Have you found any info about Derlwyn Farm? In case it might help ...

You can search the 1881 Wales census by address.

Using nothing but the address "Derlwyn" as a search term, you get Derlwyn College and Derwyn House, and what seem to be a few farms. (E.g. Hannah Bowen is a dairymaid, address Derlwyn, Llanllawddog, Carmarthenshire.)

Maybe someone who does know the geography could pick out a likely candidate.

Of course, it's more than likely that 80 years later the Derlwyn Farm in question would have another name.

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Report 28 Sep 2009 04:04

It's definately Derlwyn Farm. There is a Derlwyn College and the Mansion/House in next to it.

Derlwyn Farm was very big with many cottages on it and the neigbouring farm was Glynadda.

I don't have access to Census at all, sorry.

Bron

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Report 28 Sep 2009 04:06

Llanllawddog backs onto Abergwili land. That is were John Jones and his wife Mary nee Williams and Nellie and Lewis are buried in St Ebernezer Church grounds.

Bron

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Report 28 Sep 2009 04:09

The farm is still known today as Derlwyn Farm, I have photos of it, and a cousin from the USA visited and a distant relations still owns it. Davies? and the owner of the Derlwyn Manor was Bowen-Davies... very confusing.

The Glynadda Farm was relations...maybe Davies. Nothing can be pinpointed with a date etc, so most of my info is by mouth, hence me trying to get something in black and white.

Bron

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 28 Sep 2009 11:46

Well one of the Welsh is up and about now,but I dont know about awake or expert?,I wish...

The geography is correct as far as I can make out,I dont know the names of the farms or churches though,never having searched anywhere round there,even if it is only up the road as we say here.

Welsh parish records are pretty thin on the ground on the internet and miles have to be travelled to locate many of them on paper.

"I know that he married Mary Williams 18/10/1808 at Abergwili".
Where did this come from please?
Do you have the details for it?

All I can offer as may be of possible help in locating things is.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/

Thats the National library of wales ,a lot of the parish records are now held there.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Carmarthen/

http://www.carmarthenshirefhs.info/

The family history site.

The name John translates to Sion,Sionyn , Sioni,or Iuan.

Evan is a name in its own right and would originally have been,Ieuan,Iwan,Ianto,Ifan,I believe.

There is no V in the welsh alphabet,for V read F.

If he was John on census and or birth certs and marriages then John he would have been I rather think.

Now someone else may come along and correct me if they see that I have got things wrong,if I have ,,sorry,,to the welsh born and bred out there.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 13:55

Hi Bronwyn ... when you wake up ...

The 1881 census is free at Ancestry. Just go straight here:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8059

and do a search using nothing but

street address: DERLWYN
in county CARMARTHENSHIRE

and you'll get a list of all the people who have that term in their address.

In 1881 there is this person:

Name: David Lewis Jones
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Llanfihangelararth, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Civil parish: Llanllawddog
County/Island: Carmarthenshire
Registration district: Carmarthen

Street Address: Derlwyn

David Lewis Jones 41
Elizabeth Jones 31
Elizabeth Jones 5
Hannah Jones 4
Mary Jones 2
John Jones 23
David James 14
Hannah Bowen 21
Mary Enoch 16
Martha Ellen Salmon 13

I vaguely wondered whether the farm might have belonged to your Jones-s and passed to an older brother of your John and then to his son - ?

Oh! Viv - I had the page open and didn't refresh before posting, so I didn't see you there. ;)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 28 Sep 2009 14:08

That was hours ago woman,and I thought I was the one not awake yet.
Hope what I posted helps somewhat ,but I doubt it.

Off to do some outside painting before our lovely Welsh rain returns after our short and late summer.
Oh what a Grey day it is here today!

C yas later.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 14:09

So here's the family in 1841:

John Jones 55 - Ag Lab
Mary Jones 50
Lewis Jones 20
Evan Jones 12
Mary Jones 9
Anne Jones 6
Sarah Jones 3

Civil parish: Abergwilly
Registration district: Carmarthen
County/Island: Carmarthenshire

Oh, you already said that. Still catching up wtih what happened after I went to bed here in Canada last night!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 14:42

Alrighty, you owe me William Hill ...

What we need is to see who is on Derlwyn Farm in 1841. That census isn't searchable by address, and address can only be seen by finding a person and then viewing the image associated with the record.

So I figured I'd just go through the census districts -- Llanfihangel ar Arth, districts 13 to 20. Look at the description of the district, and find some Derlwyn.

Except Ancestry decided not to give me links for descriptions. Just for the images themselves. So I started reading through all the pages for each district (3 to 9 pages to download for each). Then halfway through Ancestry decided to give me links for descriptions ... but they were too general, so went back to reading pages.

So ... I've just skimmed every page, and not a Derlwyn. No House, no College, no Farm. Must be in a different parish, but danged if I have any idea which. Abergwilly maybe ...

You might want to take out a 14-day trial subscription at Ancestry and do the browsing through the census images looking for Derlwyn Farm to see who's there in 1841.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Sep 2009 14:48

Right, well, I should have just looked for David Lewis Jones in 1851.

David Jones 43
- born: Llanllawddog, Carmarthenshire
Elizabeth Jones 44
Mary Jones 14
> David Lewis Jones 11
Sarah Jones 4
Thomas Jones 2
Hannah Thomas 27
Anne Morgan 16
Thomas Thomas 20
Daniel Williams 19

Civil Parish or Township: Llanllawddog
address: Derlwyn

I just don't know whether that is "Derlwyn Farm".

In 1881, the address "Derlwyn College" is in Llanllawddog.

So this is that household in 1841:

David Jones 30 - occupation farmer
Elizabeth Jones 30
Mary Jones 5
Elizabeth Jones 3
David Jones 2
Margaret Jones 5 Mo

Civil parish: Llanllawddog
address: Derlwyn

So what I'm getting at, I guess, is: was David Jones (born early 1800s, father of David Lewis Jones) a brother of your John Jones? Or was John Jones's father an ag lab on the farm ...

If they were brothers, might it indicate that their father John's father's name was David? If David were the first-born son and named for the father's father ...

Wait, your John was born 1788. Might David have been a son?

You've seen this?

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/CARMARTHENSHIRE/1999-02/0919548833

"Elizabeth married THOMAS W. JONES, born 1829 in Carmarthenshire, Wales (likely at Derlwyn Farm at Llanllawddog).
Tom's parents were JOHN JONES (b. 1788 - d. 14 May 1843) and MARY WILLIAMS (b. 1792 - d. 1 January 1846). John and Mary are buried at Ebeneser Chapel in Abergwili along with a son LEWIS (1818 to 1841) and a daughter NELLIE (1823 to 1845) John was apparently a veterinarian at Derlwyn."

Post is 10 years old, but you never know ...

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 28 Sep 2009 15:09

1841 link for Derlwyn

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=8979&path=Carmarthenshire.Llanllawddog.ALL.3.4