Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

dont know how to find out

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Nov 2007 12:24

i have found out that my grandmother Esther Ann Sherman married a Benjamin Jones in March 1922. They had 2 children before separating, one child,Glynwen Jones,(my mother) who was born in May 1924 and stayed with my grandmother and the other went with his father, but that is all i know. Is there any way i can find out about this, i dont know where to begin.

Sara

Sara Report 21 Nov 2007 12:45

DO U KNOW WHERE YOUR GRANDMOTHER WAS BORN

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 13:03

What are you looking for? Your grans ancestry? Of you have a marriage date buy your grans marriage cert - that will give her fathers name and occupation and Ben's. From there you can move backwards tto their parents marriage and hopefully finding their families on the 1901 census and backwards through census and certificates.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Nov 2007 13:16

Sandra -- are you looking to find your mother's brother?

You'll be able to search for his birth at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

sometime in the relatively near future. They have not transcribed up to that date yet, but once they have, you can search for a birth with the surname Jones and the mother's surname Sherman and get his name and birthdate and place.

Then, as transcribing progresses, you'll be able to find his marriage ... and look for children born with his surname, Jones, and his wife's surname. They would be your cousins, if I have that right.

Or maybe Heather -- was it you who worked the magic? -- can look it up for you at another site where that info is available by subscription.

Let us know what you're looking to find out!

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Nov 2007 13:50

thank for your help.I have now got my grandparents marriage certificate and my mothers birth certificate but without any information about the son they had i seem to have no way to find out about him or his family.