Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth b1902

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 6 Dec 2007 22:33

I'm trying to find out more about my gran, who was known as Elizabeth Smith (nee Kelly) born 27/6/1902.

She lived and worked most of her life in Norfolk, but legend has it she came to this country from Ireland as a child.

Not much to go on. I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Camille

Camille Report 6 Dec 2007 22:39

What are you looking for Robert and where ??

Robert

Robert Report 7 Dec 2007 18:44

Hi Lulli,

I suppose I'm hoping that another distant cousin might be searching this message board for details about Elizabeth. If anyone has an Elizabeth Kelly in their tree with the same dob (27/6/1902 in Ireland) then maybe it could be the same person.

I sent off for a death certificate yesterday, so when that arrives I'm hoping it will have place of birth. If not, I'm stuck.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Dec 2007 19:08

Robert

I'm sorry but I don't think the death cert will give place of birth. Do you have her marriage cert? That would at least give you her father's name.

Did the birth date you have come from the death registration? If it did, bear in mind that information on any certificate is only what the informant gives and depends on what they know (or think they know).

Robert

Robert Report 7 Dec 2007 21:22

Hi Potty,

No I don't have her marriage certificate, and I'm not sure even what year they married, or where, though I have a rough idea. I've got a photo of them standing in the church doorway. I'll have a go at searching the marriage indexes - I've got some credits to use up. As far as I know, her husband (my grandad) never knew any of her relations.

Yes the birth date came from the death index. Her husband (or son who was 43 at the time) would have supplied this, but like you say, it doesn't mean it's correct.

Thanks for the tip, looks like father's name on the marriage certificate is the way to go.

cheers,

Robert.

Robert

Robert Report 9 Dec 2007 11:59

Thanks Mary,

after exchanging a few details it sounds like your Elizabeth is not the same person as mine. Thanks for your help and good luck with your research.

I should receive her marriage certificate in the post in a week or so, so should know her father's name soon.

thanks,

Robert.

Robert

Robert Report 28 Dec 2007 10:24

Elizabeth's father is shown as Joseph Kelly