Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William & Isabella King

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 7 Jan 2008 09:34

William & Isabella King (Nee Losbey) my Gt Gt Grandparents were married in St Pancras in Sep 1842. They were living in Drummond St St Pancras and appeared in the 1851 Census. However there is a death registration for Isabella Losbey in Dec 1847 which appears to conflict. Any information with respect to this would be appreciated.

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2008 09:37

I think the only way to find out about that person would be to buy the certificate David. Its an unusual name - is it the same area? May it be a cousin or other relative? If you have ancestry - can you do a blanket search for all families with that surname?

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2008 09:43

Ok, on ancestry, these entries appear for that name:

and & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
Birth, Marriage & Death
Name: Isabella Losbey
Marriage: Sep 1842 - Pancras (1837-1901), London, Middlesex

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
Birth, Marriage & Death
Name: Isabella Losbey
Death: Dec 1847 - Pancras (1837-1901), London, Middlesex

Pallot's Baptism Index for England: 1780 - 1837
Birth, Marriage & Death
View Image
Name: Isabella Ann Ann Losbey
Mother: Isabella Losbey
Father: Saml Losbey
Baptism: 1834 - St. Pancras, Middlesex

It would therefore suggest that there was a relative to your Isabella called Samuel?? And it was his daughter who died?

David

David Report 7 Jan 2008 12:13

Hi Heather, Thanks ever so much. I am a bit of a novice with regards genealogy and this has helped a lot. Since receiving your reply I have found what I think is their son Joseph's birth date and place & have applied for a certificate to make certain that her surname is in fact Losbey which may be where the confusion is occurring because he would have been 5 years old in 1842 the year of their marriage, nothing nowadays of course, but possibly a little unusual then. Anyway hopefully all will be revealed when I see the certificate. Many thanks for your help. Regards David

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2008 16:12

Joseph may well have been a son by a previous wife? Is there a gap between him and the next child? Ill have a quick peak on ancestry 1851.

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2008 16:19

This them? Hmm, the son born in Northants but Isabella and William marry in London? And at a very mature age! Id be looking for a previous wife David or certainly a bunch of older kids for them. Have you found them in 1841? (BTW, the image seems to show William as 50 not 58 as transcribed?)

e: Joseph King
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Wm
Mother's Name: Isabella
Where born: Northamptonshire, England

Civil Parish: St Pancras
Ecclesiastical parish: Somers Town
County/Island: Middlesex

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View Image

Registration district: Pancras
Sub-registration district: Somers Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 166
Household Members:
Name Age
Isabella King 55
Joseph King 14
Wm King 58

David

David Report 7 Jan 2008 19:28

Hi Heather, Thanks for your further replies, you have been so kind and they are v much appreciated. The 1851 census shows William as being 50 and Isabella as 55 whilst Joseph is 14. They wer living at 118 Drummond Street St Pancras.by the time Joseph marries in 1858 his father is shown on the certificate as being deceased. There are 5 William King deaths registered in the St Pancras area between 51 & 58. Now the Joseph King I have found in the records bor in Daventry Northants was registered between July & September 1837 vol 15 pg 161 & this is the one I have applied for. Joseph had a 2nd name of Horace so if this does appear on the certificate along with mother Isabella I think I may have solved the mystery. However having a child at 41 in Victorian time although not impossible would have been precarious and your other theory may well be right. I am away for 10 days from tomorrowso when I return all may be revealed. Fascinating stuff this. It really gets on my good lady's nerves particularly because we have failed to trace any of her ancestors whatsoever and I have managed to get back to the 19th century with some of mine! Best Regards David.

Heather

Heather Report 7 Jan 2008 21:22

David, you ll have to post your OHs details for us to try for. You may want to think about getting an ancestry sub and then you can sit there 24/7 searching these details out.

I dont think 41 at the time of Joseph's birth is impossible David, just that they married 5 years after his birth - strange thing to do if they had been together for some time and that if that were the case Id have expected -for there to be a gaggle of kids about.

Silly this - but I never asked - did you get the 1842 marriage cert? Just a thought, but couldnt your Isabella be the Isabella above - married first to Samuel?? Did the marriage cert give her status as single not widow? What was her fathers name?

David, there is a member on ancestry from Norway who has William and Isabella in their tree - no further on than you alas, but would you like to contact them?

David

David Report 8 Jan 2008 08:04

Hi Heather, Unfortunately have not got time this morning to do any more but your suggestions seem good. Will contact when I get back from France in 10 days or so.
Best Regards David