Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Lamont

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 9 Jun 2007 09:25

My great grand father John Lamont was born in Northern Ireland - probably Belfast - between 1851 and 1855. His father's name was John and his mother was Fanny (maiden name Stewart). I've spent some weeks working in the PRO in Belfast but haven't been able to locate John and Fanny's marriage certificate or a birth or baptismal certificate for John junior. I have located death certificates for both a John Lamont and a Fanny Lamont in the Scottish records. While I'm not 100% certain my speculation is correct, I think my John and Fanny may have moved to Glasgow in the early 1870s with their other children - Agnes, David and James. My great grand father John came to New Zealand in 1874. He became an agricultural contractor and then an independent farmer; in 1877 he married Jane Shirreffs, who'd been born in Aberdeen. John and Jane had ten children who survived to become adults, the second of whom was my grand father. Unfortunately both John and Jane died in their mid- forties leaving the children as orphans. One result of John and Jane's early deaths was that virtually no records relating to them have survived. I'll be grateful for any information that may help me learn more about the elusive John Lamont. Graham Lamont, Auckland, New Zealand