Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for Stella Mabel Layng born 1899: A NUN?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 26 Oct 2007 14:19

I am searching for my Great Aunt, Stella Mabel Layng. The surname has been spelt various ways including 'Laying', 'Lang' and 'Laing'. Stella was born to Arthur Bulmer Layng and Emily Ida Mabel Layng in 1899. Stella entered the Lewisham Workhouse in 1909 and was then transferred to St. Anne's Orphanage, Orpington on 21st October 1909 aged 10. In 1910 she was transferred to another children's home in Eltham which was apparently run by the Sisters of Mercy.

According to family legend Stella was signed into a closed order of Nuns. I can find no information about her after she was transferred to Eltham in 1910. Does anyone have any information or suggestions on how I could possibly trace her? Please contact me.