Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 9 Jan 2008 00:52

I am trying to find any information on Hammond Leonard.He was apparently a Russian tobbacco blender.Married a sarah Weinick in mile end east london in march 1909.Fathered 2 more children in 1916 & 1918 in marylebone.Died at 74years old of pneumonia.Born in 1879.Any clues anyone?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Jan 2008 01:42

Hi Jennifer -- what are you looking for clues *to*?

Do you have his marriage certificate?
Does it state his age and his father's name?
Have you found him in any censuses?
Does the birthdate 1879 come from his age at marriage?

When you say "fathered 2 more children" -- two more than what? Children not with Sarah Weinick? There are no Leonard-Weinick births in the GRO (post-1911) as so far transcribed by FreeBMD. The only 1918 Leonard birth in Marylebone that I see has mother Lyons; I see no 1918 birth. Were they registered in the mother's surname?

Any information you have should be shared!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Jan 2008 02:03

How old were they when they married? Was either widowed before marriage?

... Ah, I was looking at this Sarah in 1901:

Name: Sarah Weinig
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Lewis
Where born: Foreign Sub, Russia

Civil Parish: Mile End Old Town
Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity Stepney
County/Island: London

but she died in 1909. I'd suspect a connection to that family, though.

Or to this one in 1871:

Amelia Weinick 9 months
Louisa Weinick 4
Mary Ann Weinick 29
William Weinick 44

Civil Parish: St James Westminster
Ecclesiastical parish: St John The Baptist

Should I assume that Hammond and Sarah were Russian Jewish? Just looking for what his name might be an anglicization of. Hyman would be the obvious source of Hammond, in that case. Leonard ... hmm. Levi, Levine, something starting with L and ending with "sky" ...

If they were in England in the 1901, the most important bit of info is their ages when they married, and possibly their fathers' names.