Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 31 Dec 2007 16:48

hi my name is michael lewis im trying to trace some family history for
lewis family from hertfordshire my dad was cyril g lewis he married emily elizebeth nash has 2 brothers brian and charlie he was born20 feb 1928 hertingfordbury if any one could help me get some history

thanks

Heather

Heather Report 31 Dec 2007 16:51

The first thing to do is ask ALL living members what they know/have/remember.

You need to work backwards so do you have your parents marriage certificate? That will give you your grandfathers name and occupation and where your parents were living at the time of the marriage. You need to have that certificate to work backwards to a time prior to 1901 when you can start looking through census info.

If you are solely interested in your paternal side and you have your fathers birth date then you can buy his birth certificate for £7 which will give both his parents names and the address where he was born From that you can work backwards to find his parents marriage and buy that cert and that will give you both fathers names and occupations and so on backwards.

You may want to think about getting a sub to ancestry.co.uk and definitely using freebmd. If you pop over to tips board Ill nudge up a thread on Tips for Newbies to help you.

Penny

Penny Report 31 Dec 2007 16:51

do you have his birth cert?

Penny

Penny Report 31 Dec 2007 16:54

his birth registration looks to be

Q1 hertford 3a 1245
MMn Mansfield

Heather

Heather Report 31 Dec 2007 16:59

From the info Minnie has given you from the bmd index you can see the mothers name which appears to be Mansfield.

Working from that info - there is this POSSIBLE marriage in Newmarket BUT without buying his birth cert you cannot be sure.

Marriages Mar 1920

Lewis Herbert R Edith Mansfield Newmarket 3b 1025

There are also these, guessing at a possible time span - though further afield than Suffolk from Herts - all may be wrong -

Lewis John H R Mansfield Newcastle T 10b 291 Scan available - click to view
Marriages Mar 1917 (99%)
LEWIS Rowland P Mansfield Paddington 1a 102 Scan available - click to view
Marriages Sep 1919 (>99%)
Lewis Edwin T Mansfield Burton 6b 1071 Scan available - click to view
Marriages Mar 1920 (77%)
Lewis Herbert R Mansfield Newmarket 3b 1025

you need to buy his birth cert for the mothers full name to confirm the right marriage:

Certificates are £7 each using the GRO references (as per above birth)

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Michael

Michael Report 31 Dec 2007 17:05

thanks to all your answers bin a great help

Heather

Heather Report 31 Dec 2007 17:11

Michael, go over to tips board, Ive bumped up the tips thread for you.

LiverpooMo

LiverpooMo Report 1 Jan 2008 13:57

Hello Michael,Just been looking at the message board for Lewis,I have a Elizabeth Lewis in my tree d.o.b.1880 approx but on reading your messages I noticed the Surname Mansfield has been mentioned to you I am a Mansfield so I wonder if there is any connection,so take a look at my tree,my husbands Grandfather was from Herefordshire.

Maureen.