Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOOKING FOR THE LONSDALE FAMILY,KILSYTH,SCOTLAND.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Mar 2011 10:23

MY MOTHER LUCY EDITH LONSDALE WAS BORN, KILSYTH 5/02/1924 TO MARY LONSDALE, MARY HAD SISTERS JEAN, RUBY, GRACE AND I THINK TINA. MY MAM WAS BROUGHT UP BY HER GRANDPARENTS BUT I NEVER KNEW THEIR NAMES. ALL I REALLY KNOW ABOUT HER GRANDAD WAS HE WAS A STAUNCH ORANGEMAN, POSSIBLY FROM IRELAND? WHEN MAM WAS AROUND 17 HER GRANMOTHER DIED, SHE LEFT HOME AND WORKED AS A NURSE IN A SANITORIUM LOOKING AFRER PATIENTS WITH TB,AND INCCURABLE ILLNESS, LATER JOINED RAF WHERE SHE MET MY DAD, AND MOVED TO ENGLAND. I BELIEVE RUBY MARRIED HAD A SON CALLED IAN,AND EMIGRATED TO CANADA ONTARIO I THINK, AND I THINK MY GRANDMOTHER MARY MARRIED SOME YEARS AFTER MY MOTHER WAS BORN, TO A WIDOWER WITH CHILDREN I THINK HIS NAME WAS WATSON AYKERS. JEAN MARRIED MAC RUSSELL THERE WAS A SON FRANK THEY LIVED IN A COTTAGE CALLED ROWANTREE, I REMEMBER IT LOOKED DOWN ON THE CANAL. IN KILSYTH. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 10 Mar 2011 10:25

What is it you are asking for.

Also can you take off your CAP LOC as this post is very difficult to read

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Mar 2011 10:50

Shirley, you need to order Mary's birth certificate from Scotlandspeople. Her birth certificate will give the date and place of her parents marriage.

You also need to Scotlandspeople to find marriages of her siblings. Births after 1910, marriages 1935 and deaths 1960 are not available to view online, you need to order the certificates.

EDIT

Staunch orangemen are not neccessarily Irish - there are quite a lot of them in Scotland!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Mar 2011 11:03

I have had a quick look on Scotlandspeople- if you buy some credits (£6 for 30 - 1 to view search results and 5 to view / download register entries) you will see the births for Mary and her sisters.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Mar 2011 11:07

Name: Grace Lonsdale
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name : Thorhson Lonsdale
Where born: Ireland, co Antion
Registration Number: 498
Registration district: Kirkintilloch
Civil parish: Kirkintilloch
County: Dumbartonshire
Address: 72 Barrhill Rows (new)
ED: 7
Household schedule number: 209
Line: 8
Roll: CSSCT1901_170
Household Members: Name Age
Thorhson Lonsdale 21 Coal Miner, b. Ireland, co Antion
Grace Lonsdale 20

Thorhson is a mistranscription of Thompson. If you look for their marriage on SP, the entry will give their parents names including the Mothers' maiden surnames.

Your were indeed correct - an Irish staunch orangeman, lol

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Mar 2011 11:13

???

Name: Grace Thomson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relationship: Daur (Daughter)
Mother's Name: Maggie Thomson
Where born: Antrim, Ireland
Registration Number: 498
Registration district: Kirkintilloch
Civil parish: Kirkintilloch
County: Dumbartonshire
Address: No 21 Twechar Row
ED: 7
Household schedule number: 45
Line: 13
Roll: CSSCT1891_160
Household Members: Name Age
Maggie Thomson 29 Pithead Worker, b. Antrim, Ireland (Head of Household)
Grace Thomson 9
Elizabeth Thomson 7 b. Kirkintilloch, Dumbarton Shire
John Thomson 1 b. Kirkintilloch, Dumbarton Shire

John's birth certificate from SP will give more details of his parents i.e. date and place of marriage (assuming that Maggie was married)

ValT

ValT Report 10 Mar 2011 11:38

Lucy Edith born 1924
mother Mary Allen Lonsdale born 22 Oct 1902
grandmother Grace Thomson 1881 married Thompson Lonsdale Oct 1900
Great grandmother Margaret Bell married James Thomson, they married on 14 May 1881 in County Antrim.

Looked up Elizabeth's birth and found Maggie Thomson (Margaret)
was married to James Thomson.

ValT

ValT Report 10 Mar 2011 12:51

Mary's marriage
1928 AKERS JOHN WILSON to MARY ALLEN LONSDALE
KILSYTH /STIRLING 483/00 0072
date: 7 December 1928

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Mar 2011 14:49

Nudging up to put this beside the new thread.

Shirley

Shirley Report 31 Aug 2018 23:24

I am looking for any of the relatives of my previous threads so I might be able to find out more about my mams formative years as I know very little
My mam was born 1924 the illegitimate daughter to Mary Allen Lonsdale, I know Mary was a bus conductor at the time. Some 4years later Mary married a widower with two young sons his name was John Wilson Akers they lived in Kilsyth Stirlingshire.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 31 Aug 2018 23:58

If you don't already have it, your Grandmother's death certificate may show the name and address of a relative if the informant was indeed related.

Surname Forename Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name Image View
AKERS
MARY ALLAN
THOMSON
231/ 311
Inverness

LONSDALE
MARY ALLAN
THOMSON
231/ 311
Inverness

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Sep 2018 00:03

Deaths of your grandmother's siblings. The informants may be cousins of your mother and may know some details of your mother's early years.

Surname Forename Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name Image View
LONSDALE
WILLIAMINA BELL
THOMSON
476/ 101
Kilsyth

LONSDALE
JESSIE
THOMSON
476/ 78
Kilsyth

LONSDALE