Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Marsden Staples

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 9 Nov 2007 23:30

I'm getting a subscription for Christmas to Ancestry :)

But until then, can someone kind do a lookup for me?

Thomas Marsden Staples (b 1901 Leicestershire) married his second wife Florence L Moores in March 1943 - in Leicestershire.

Can any help me find any children they 'may' have had?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Nov 2007 23:37

Heh. I think you'd better wait for your prezzie. ;)

To find unknown children born on unknown dates after 1918 or so, one has to trawl through the untranscribed GRO index, one page per quarter, i.e. four per year -- hoping that Ancestry doesn't direct you to the wrong page, which it often does -- and look for the births of children named Staples with mother Moores. For 10 years, that would be at least 40 pages, which load pretty slowly.

A fine Boxing Day project, though!

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 9 Nov 2007 23:46

Thanks Kathryn, I didn't realise that!.

I'll hang out for Christmas then :)

Thanks for your answer.

Mary

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Nov 2007 23:55

Of course, now someone will come along and do it for you and put me to shame. ;)

I did just trawl through about 3 years for somebody here this afternoon, but at least I was looking for a specific name -- and managed to find it only 3 years in. But I said he'd have to do the trawling for her marriage to an unknown person on an unknown date for himself!

You're welcome, and have fun. And when at Ancestry, remember always to add notes about your ancestors, even if it's just middle names. (It will more often be corrections of the appalling mistranscriptions that meant it took you weeks to find your people.) Distant cousins you never knew about will find you!

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 10 Nov 2007 00:06

Thanks for the tips about taking notes :)

All the best with your research

Mary

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2007 00:23

Not to drag this out ... ;)

What I was getting at was *making* notes -- you can add "alternate names" to records in the censuses at Ancestry. (A lot of people who use that system don't realize this, and not nearly enough people do it.)

I add notes to at least one person in all of my households -- the birth surname of the wife/mother, the middle name of somebody, the correct spelling of the family's name -- just so that if someone else is researching the same family, they'll see the notes and will be able to contact me through the Ancestry system.

One hint on that: unless a name applies to every household member, call it "birth/maiden name". I add the future married names of daughters to their records, so that someone who doesn't know what their birth surname was might still find them, since they'll then turn up on a search by their married name. I'd been doing that for a while, and calling it "name change", and then Ancestry started applying all name-change names to everybody in the household.

So I now have ancestors called, say, Bob Smith Jones Wolstenholme Tremblay, if Bob had three daughters who married a Jones, a Wolstenholme and a Tremblay. Ridiculous.

One note I made involved adding a letter to a woman's middle name, to give it its more usual spelling. As a result, I met someone in England who had figured out that my grx4 grandmother (mother-in-law of the woman whose name I'd fixed) was also her grx4 grandmother, who had married the cousin's own grx4 grandfather after mine died. I had no clue, and likely never would have. And that cousin is the one who told me about our mutual grx4 grandmother's brother's grandson -- Viscount Sankey, who was Lord Chancellor 1929-35. !!

Also, to get messages, you have to "activate" your account. Which the person who has corrected mistranscriptions of names all over a particular family of mine, in each case saying only "known family", has never done. The person is unknown to me or the network of cousins in England I've met in this family, and his/her notes make me crazy and I can't even contact him/her to enquire. I suspect a mad Mormon ...

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 10 Nov 2007 01:12

I see!

Thanks for taking the time to write all that! I'll print it out for future reference.

Yes, I can imagine the person who is correcting your family is driving you bonkers!

Thanks again.

Mary