Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obtaining a copy certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 4 Dec 2007 14:36

I am applying for my first copy certificate online from the National Archives. They want £10 to send this certificate by post. I was once told that there was a cheaper option where you get a copy online from somewhere. Can anyone advise on this please? I have the reference number for this marriage which I got with my credits on GR.

My grandparents married in 1914. My grandfather survived the Great War but died in on 9th December 1914 of bronchial pneumonia in a hospital in Rouen. I managed to find his grave and visited last year but I finding it very difficult to get any information about him as he died abroad. I have tried to get his service records but only have his service number and unit and nothing comes up. Someone on this site found his medal record for which I was very grateful but it doesn't tell me very much and I still haven't got his date of birth, just his age from the 1901 cencus.

Linda

ceri

ceri Report 4 Dec 2007 14:43

Have you tried this website they are sent through the post as you get the full original certificate but i think they are about £7

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Have just checked their site and it is £7 if you know the index/ref, or £10 if you dont

Rosaline

Rosaline Report 4 Dec 2007 14:45

I get my Certificates on-line and they only cost £7. I order mine from the General Register Office (GRO).

If you have the reference number all I can do is go and look at the details, but it won't say who the witnesses are or give the names of the fathers.

To order you'll need those reference numbers and when they ask which GRO it would be the parish in which the marriage took place...

I am also a member of Ancestry. I can't help you with searching abroad though, as I'm just as new as you are.

Hope I've help you a little

Regards
Rosaline

Potty

Potty Report 4 Dec 2007 14:57

Linda,

Never use credits on this site for looking up birth, marriage and death references - go to http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ where you can search for bmd from 1837 until 1910-1920 - they aren't complete yet but are updated frequently.

If you are looking for later bmds you need to use Ancestry, which isn't free and isn't a database, just a collection of images of the indices. You have to search quarter by quarter for every year.

Have you found your grandfather on the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) site? His parents' names and address might be there.

Where have you looked for his service record?

By the way, posts like this would be better on the Records Office board - lots of people on there with experience of searching but you do need to be able to stay around for a while, as answers and questions will come in very quickly.

Linda

Linda Report 4 Dec 2007 14:58

I really appreciate all your help. Thanks (isn't this a great site?).

Potty - I did find his grave through the CWGC although it was difficult as he is buried in an extension of a municiple graveyard. All the info on the printout was his service number and unit. He is the relative I am most interested in as I was the first person in 88 years to visit his grave in Rouen and it was very moving, especially as he died not knowing my Mother was on the way and his death could have been prevented. He was sent back to the front after reporting sick with flu in after his first leave in 4 years on 5th November 1914 (7 days before the armistice)

I will certainly look at the sites you recommend.

Thanks again.

Linda

Linda

Linda Report 4 Dec 2007 15:48

Sorry but what do you mean by "Records Office notice board"? Is this the National Archives or GRO?