Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Different dates

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jaded

jaded Report 4 Jan 2011 18:16

Can anyone hlep i have 2 different dates for my father
on birth certified it says 28 nov 1923 on everting else it says march 1924,same mother and father .Thanks

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 4 Jan 2011 18:20

I think he may not have been registered until the following quarter, do you have his birth cert ?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Jan 2011 18:21

You're not getting confused with when the birth was registered, are you? Possibly the Jan/Feb/March quarter of 1924.

jaded

jaded Report 4 Jan 2011 18:25

hi i have got his birth cert he was reg in 1924 but looking up deaths his date is birth date is 1924

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 18:36

Information on a D/C is only as good as what the informant knew...so yes mistakes can happen

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jan 2011 18:37

On his birth cert what date does it give for when registered ?

jaded

jaded Report 4 Jan 2011 18:38

Hi that means go of b/c Thanks for your help

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jan 2011 19:26

His birth date is his birth date.
His registration date is when someone actually got round to registering him ( could be months later)

Registrations are recorded in quarters. Mar, June, Sept ,and Dec.

Even if he was registered on 1st Jan. it would show up as officially March quarter of that year.

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 19:29

Mike...that isn't what Jaded is getting at........She says his death shows his birth year as being 1924

jax

jax Report 4 Jan 2011 19:33

Maybe the informant gave the wrong date as mentioned above

jax

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jan 2011 19:47

Well Julie I'm glad you knew what Jaded was getting at.

"on everting else it says march 1924" .... .. On what ?

Jaded mentioned "looking up deaths" - not actually having the death cert.

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 20:03

From June 1969 death entry's show dates of birth

It's called reading all the replies Mike.......thats how i knew what Jaded was getting at

jax

jax Report 4 Jan 2011 20:07

My grandparents died in June 1969 and the grandfathers dob is 3 years out thats because that was what he told everyone. Even if my grandmother had known the correct year she died with him

jax

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Jan 2011 20:10

When I registered my own father's death I inadvertently gave the wrong year of birth, hence the death registration entries show him as being a year younger when he died than he actually was.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2011 20:38

I found it quite diffiuclt to decipher jaded's replies, myself, so I don't see the need to chide anyone who didn't manage.

If jaded would simply give the name and all the details of both the birth and death, someone might be able to help further. Hypothetical questions seldom lead to useful answers.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2011 20:59

And there you go again wrecking someone else's threads with unfounded personal attacks -- two here so far. Enough is about enough.

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 20:59

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Julie

Julie Report 4 Jan 2011 21:01

LOLOL oh and you don't delete your posts either lol

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jan 2011 21:03

How utterly rude.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2011 21:04

I accidentally deleted my post before Julie's last false personal attack. (By the way, sweetie, it was you telling someone else what to do, not me, and I have no clue what an "RC neck" might be so your insults are wasted on me.)

The post in question contained *only* the information I have reconstructed below, so there was no reason for me to delete it intentionally. So there's another unfounded personal attack.

I will reconstruct it because it may actually be of use here.

"looking up deaths his date is birth date is 1924"

jaded, if you are looking at the index at Ancestry, you are seeing a death before 1969 on which only the *age at death* is entered. Ancestry then calculates the year of birth.

Your dad was born late in the year (1923). If he died before his birthday in the year he died, Ancestry would calculate him as being a year younger than he was.

For instance, say he died in June 1963. He would have been 39 (not yet had 40th birthday), so Ancestry would say he was born in 1924. That isn't a fact, that's just Ancestry's guess.

"on everting else it says march 1924"

I still don't know what that refers to -- death records before 1969 gave only an age, and after 1969 give a complete date of birth. So I'm not surprised Mike was still confused.