Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Matthew Williamson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

klsy24

klsy24 Report 1 Jul 2007 09:17

Trying to trace an uncle of my Great Grandfathers desendents. Name of Matthew Williamson circa 1851, parents William and Martha (nee carson, nee cuthbert), sister Sarah 1853, and brother Robert c1858 who was my G Grandfathers father. All from the Portadown area. My Great Grandfather was named Matthew for him but his name was changed to James when Matthew (in the royal navy??) jumped ship in Montevideo, Uraguay in the 1880s. He may have used a false name to enlist. ship may have possibly been: Garnett, Swallow, Elk, Forward or Dwarf unfortunatly all ships ledgers were lost during the war so no way of checking this. We think Matthew came back to Portadown briefly (with a daughter??) to look for relatives but never got in touch with my Grandfathers family (My G. Granfather died quite young) and may have gone back to live in Brazil. Ring any bells with anyone??? long shout but I thought I would post just incase. thanks Kelsie