Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cant locate in 1911 census

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2010 15:57

i am tring to locate a great aunt in 1911. i have found her on bmd may miriam skinner born jun 1905. tried searching 1911 census as i want to know who was in the household with her. but try as i can there is no trace. i put in different counties. she was born in maidstone kent. tried sussex and middlesex but no joy.any help would be appreciated thanks
christina

Debdob

Debdob Report 14 Apr 2010 16:03

Have you tried looking up her parents on 1911 census to see if she is living with them

Sue C

Sue C Report 14 Apr 2010 16:25

Are you certain that May's mother was married at the time of her birth?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2010 17:03

hi all thanks for coming back. it seems i have a different problem as in i have the wrong may skinner. i know for definate her date of death was 1964 ond quarter. she was may gibbs then.it gives her age as 59 so that makes her birth 1905? her father was charles edward skinner born around 1883 her mother was sophie. i know they lived in and around ashford. she married a len gibbs at some stage, dont know when.would a death cert give her date of death or just her age. i have exhausted looking for her father but without success, not sure where to go now.

Astra

Astra Report 14 Apr 2010 17:13

Seems to be a bit of confusion about Sophie's name

Marriages Jun 1902 (>99%)
Coveiandon Sophia Eva P W. Ashford 2a 1521
PAIN-COREIANDON Sophie E W. Ashford 2a 1521
Skinner Charles Edward W.Ashford 2a 1521
Stevens Walter George W. Ashford 2a 1521
VAIN-COVEIANDON Sophie E W. Ashford 2a 1521
Wooster Sarah Jane W W. Ashford 2a 1521

Astra

Astra Report 14 Apr 2010 17:27

I wonder if this is her

Sophie Van Covenden
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Hannah
Where born: London, England
Civil parish: Ashford
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary the Virgin
Town: Ashford
County/Island: Kent
Registration district: West Ashford
Sub-registration district: Ashford
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 88
Household Members:
Name Age
Hannah Syrett 50
Sophie Van Covenden 20
Harry Syrett 10
Mary Syrett 8
Mary Syrett 6
Chura V Covenden 2 8 months>>>>>>>>grand daughter. Think it may be Clara but not sure

Astra

Astra Report 14 Apr 2010 17:36

Her mother's marriage

Hannah Pain Covaiondon to Henry Syrett
Year of Registration: 1901
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: West Ashford
County: Kent
Volume: 2a
Page: 1730

Patricia

Patricia Report 14 Apr 2010 17:43

1911 Cansus

SKINNER, John William Head
Married M
50 born 1861
Plumber
Yorks Hull

SKINNER, Sarah Wife
Married
27 years F
47 born 1864 Yorks Hull

SKINNER, Sarah Daughter F
14 1897 Assisting In House Yorks Hull
SKINNER, Eliazabeth Daughter F
12 1899 School Yorks Hull VIEW
SKINNER, Lily Daughter F
7 1904 School Yorks Hull VIEW
SKINNER, Miriam Daughter F
5 1906 School Yorks Hull VIEW

living at

64 Oxford St Hull

Could this be your Miriam (source Findmypast)

Kind regards

Patricia

Astra

Astra Report 14 Apr 2010 17:58

I think the May Miriam we are looking for was born in Kent with Father Charles
Edward and mother Sophie!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2010 18:27

hi back again, really sorry for the confusion. just to recap the facts. may skinner died ond qtr 1964 maidstone area, kent aged 59.this makes her dob 1905/04 depending on month of birth. i have all the details of hannah her grandmother and sophie with all the spelling differences, it is a complete nightmare. i am waiting for 2 marr certs for them to see what other info is there.but going back to aunty may, i just cant trace her. at some stage she took up with mr len gibbs and apparently had 8 children but never married him. she later married a mr jim breaker who she was married to when she died. however i did a search on ancestry for marriages. i put in may gibbs and spouse jim breaker and a marriage in kent came up.unfortunately i am not a member there so cannot look that up. it is interesting because she either just called herself may gibbs previously or actually married the man of which i had no knowledge. her marrents married in 1902 so before she was born. its strange i cant even trace sophie skinner then. im just going round in circles.thanks to all who are helping and sorry for wrong info earlier

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Apr 2010 18:33

Christina,

How do you know whom her parents are if you don't have either her marriage certs or birth cert?

Tracey x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2010 18:40

wayne/tracey hi there because may was my grandads sister and my aunty told me all about sophie her grandmother.i do have a birth cert for mays brother charles arthur vc skinner. it names sophie as the mother and although fathers name is left blank, parents married in 1902 jun.my aunt in the family is really good with helping here except trying to find may!

Astra

Astra Report 14 Apr 2010 18:40

I think the marriage is Biggs and not Gibbs

James Breaker
Spouse Surname: Biggs
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1953
Registration district: Sittingbourne
Registration county (inferred): Kent
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 1467

No sorry it is mis-transcribed

May Gibbs
Spouse Surname: Breaker
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1953
Registration district: Sittingbourne
Registration county (inferred): Kent
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 1467

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Apr 2010 18:45

Alarm bells ring there, the parents were married but the father's name was left blank?

That would imply he refused to be named, and also could mean parentage issues. It's extremely unusual for the husband not to be included on a birth certificate when he is married to the mother.

Do you know why the father's name is not on the cert.

Assumption is a killer with family research, i have a very large Skinner line in my tree, and some of them have proved to be very difficult!

Tracey x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2010 18:48

hi astra, thanks, have looked up on gr under gibbs and its there amj 1953. so was she married to len gibbs previously or did she just use his name, who knows? i could now order a marriage cert and that would at least confirm her previous names and where she was living. thanks again

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Apr 2010 18:49

The birth cert for the brother of May, what does it say for the mother? does it give a maiden name as well as her married name or does it just list her as Sophie Skinner?

Tracey x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2010 18:57

she was sophie eva covands as she didnt marry the father until 3 months after the birth. charles was born in mar1902 and sophie married charles skinner in jun1902.charles was actually named charles arthur skinner covands, she obviously gave skinner as a christian name because she was unmarried and then after the marriage, he was known as charles arthur van-covdenden skinner. she gave so many vairiants of her name, it makes this research much more difficult

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Apr 2010 19:02

Those blooming Skinners..... they loved the unusual names!!!

I have a Fitzowen Skinner, and a Bruce Groeme Skinner, amongst others.

Tracey x

Flick

Flick Report 14 Apr 2010 19:30

Births Mar 1902 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Covands Charles A S W. Ashford 2a 860

?????????????

Marriages Mar 1923 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skinner Charles A V House Hollingbourne 2a 1413

Flick

Flick Report 14 Apr 2010 19:39

Was Frederick, born 1927, the eldest of the children of May Skinner and Mr Gibbs?