Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mendes Family Tree

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Faye

Faye Report 2 Jan 2011 23:30

Hi,
I'm currently researching my dads family tree and have come to a brick wall, my great grandfather John Mendes b.01/01/1872 Yorkshire, married Louisa Margaret Condon b.18/12/1887 Ireland (possibly Cork), they had 6 children - 5 boys - Harold Rock (my grandfather), Anthony Owen, Sydney John, Hector Michael, Llewelyn and 1 girl Marie Olga (died at the age in infancy).

If anyone could assist with John's parents I would be very grateful, all i know is Johns father was called Frank,

Many Thanks
Faye

tempest

tempest Report 2 Jan 2011 23:52

have you found John on any census please?

Flick

Flick Report 3 Jan 2011 00:09

try looking for them in 1881....FREE

www.familysearch.org

How do you know the exact DOB?

Flick

Flick Report 3 Jan 2011 00:11

Where were the children born?

Not in the UK, I'll bet...........

jax

jax Report 3 Jan 2011 00:14

Which country cannot see them on any census

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 00:26

the only John Mendes I can find

birth: 1868
death: Chart Sutton Kent England

record title: Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988
name: John Mendes
burial date: 08 Apr 1873
burial place: Chart Sutton, England
death place: Chart Sutton Kent England
birth date: 1868
indexing project (batch) number: B02041-9
system origin: Great Britain-EASy
source film number: 1835876

jax

jax Report 3 Jan 2011 00:31

A long way from Yorkshire??? from a tree on ancestry
John MendesBirth

Abt 1868
in India Death

20 April 1935
in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

More options Save this person to your treeParents & Siblings No Father No Mother
Spouse & Children Louisa Margaret Condon (1887-1969) Sydney John C Mendes (1908-2005) Anthony Owen Mendes (1913-1986) Harold Rock Mendes (1916-1988) Save this person to your tree
.Timeline( View details ) 1868
AbtBirth
India
18 DecAge: 39 Marriage to Louisa Margaret Condon
India
20 AprAge: 67 Death
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
.Family Members Parents No Father No Mother .Show siblings Hide siblings .Spouse & Children
Louisa Margaret Condon 1887 – 1969 Sydney John Condon Mendes 1908 – 2005 Anthony Owen Mendes 1913 – 1986 Harold Rock Mendes 1916 – 1988

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jan 2011 02:18

Attempting to reconstruct this the way it would actually look in the original ... to make it comprehensible ...

John Mendes
Birth Abt 1868 in India
Death 20 April 1935 in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

No Father No Mother
Spouse & Children
Louisa Margaret Condon (1887-1969)
Sydney John C Mendes (1908-2005)
Anthony Owen Mendes (1913-1986)
Harold Rock Mendes (1916-1988)

1868 Abt Birth India

1907 18 Dec
Marriage to Louisa Margaret Condon
India

1935 20 Apr
Death
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Could it just have slipped Faye's mind that her grandfather (Harold Rock Mendes) was born in India?? One might think it worth mentioning when asking for help with searches!

John Mendes may or may not have been born in India; the info in that tree is quite vague.

Name: Harold Rock Mendes
Birth Date: 1 Jul 1916
Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1988
Age at death (estimated): 71
Registration district: Maidstone
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 16
Page: 1460

Name: Louisa Margaret Mendes
Birth Date: 19 Dec 1884
Death Registration Month/Year: 1969
Registration district: Maidstone
Volume: 5f
Page: 1511

Flick

Flick Report 3 Jan 2011 10:55

Name: Sydney John C Mendes
Birth Date: 4 Oct 1908
Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 2005
Age at death (estimated): 96
Registration district: Kent
Register number: KDQ4
District and Subdistrict: 564/1Q
Entry number: 63

Name: Anthony Owen Mendes
Birth Date: 27 Mar 1913
Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 1986
Age at death (estimated): 73
Registration district: Chatham
Volume: 16
Page: 671

Flick

Flick Report 3 Jan 2011 11:00

There is a marriage in 1954 for Hector...........but no death on Ancestry, so I will not post the details

Interestingly, the phone book entries for 1969 and 1970 are in his wife's name only

She re-married in 1985

Faye

Faye Report 3 Jan 2011 12:16

Hi,
Thank you so far for peoples help it is much appreicated!!

I would like to point out due someones comment (to wish I found quite offensive!!), is that my grandfather died when i was 7, my dad was a baby when his mother died and his father was in mourning for the rest of his life, so my dad didnt think it was right to ask about the family background, and as I have never known much about him i would have not known where he was born. All i know is what is in our family bible! It took me 3 years to find my grandparents wedding certificate - which took place in Haifa, Palestine (where my grandmother was from.

Because my dads family was in the military i have hit so many brick walls and every piece of information is grateful received.

Thanks
Faye

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 12:20

offensive? I see nothing offensive in the foregoing

If you feel you have been offended you have the option to report it to GR

Seems to me that everyone has been more than helpful to you

tempest

tempest Report 3 Jan 2011 12:29

hi Faye

there are at least two trees on ancestry which contain members of your family (I found them by searching public trees for Harold Rock Mendes)and have various photos and documents, if you haven't done so already you might want to take a look, you might find them very interesting

regards

Flick

Flick Report 3 Jan 2011 12:34

I can see absolutely nothing in anyone's posting to which you could possibly take exception

As you seem to take offense at nothing, it is probably better if people refrain from responding to your requests........I certainly won't take the risk in future.

Faye

Faye Report 3 Jan 2011 12:55

Hi,
Im sorry if i came across that way, it was just one comment that i may have taken the wrong way, please do not see the comment as pointed at everyone that was not my intention, apologies if this did appear that way!

I REALLY do appreciate all your help, i'm sorry Flick if you feel that way, but i understand, all i can say is thanks for the information you have given me it was gratefully received,

Faye

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jan 2011 20:29

Well, since it was my comment --

"Could it just have slipped Faye's mind that her grandfather (Harold Rock Mendes) was born in India?? One might think it worth mentioning when asking for help with searches!"

-- I'll reply: unless otherwise stated, other members will assume that events occurred in the UK, particularly when the source couple are stated to have been born in Yorkshire and Ireland. Other members will also assume that info given is accurate and has been established in some valid way.

You may not have known much detail, and perhaps you didn't know about the India connection; but you knew that your grandfather married in Palestine and didn't mention that. And we still don't know where the info about the birthplaces of John Mendes and Louisa Margaret Condon came from, or where the info that John Mendes's father was Frank came from.

The guidelines you see before you post say to provide all the info you have, for a reason: to save the people you are asking to help you from going off on wild goose chases, and to give yourself the best chance of getting the help you're after. The first couple of replies in this thread are quite brief, but what they are actually saying is that those posters did spend time searching in the usual UK sources and could find nothing relating to the names in your opening post.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jan 2011 20:38

Flick mentioned the marriage of Hector. In fact, Hector M Mendes, aged 65+, is on the 2010 electoral roll. Is this someone you are in touch with? If I am following, he is your grandfather's brother.

If you go to Tracey's thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/any/thread/1231191

you can click on her name to send her a private message and ask for the address/phone number details for that listing, if he is someone you would like to contact.

Faye

Faye Report 3 Jan 2011 22:59

Hi Janey,

Thank you for your help, my apologies for not providing everything i know.
With regards to Palestine I didnt think it was possible to obtain records from there as i was always informed they do not keep records. I know that my grandfather married my grandmother Pauline Jiaraysie in 1946 at St Josephs Roman Catholic Church in Haifa.

I have never been in contact with Hector, due to major feuds and religious reasons my fathers family were torn apart so I am having to research the tree via the internet.

I now know that John Mendes b 01/01/1872 and Louisa Margaret Condon b 18/12/1887 married on 18/12/1907 in Lahore, but i have no idea how they met as she came from Ireland.

I also know that Johns father was called Frank Mendes but i have no details on him,

Thanks
Faye

tempest

tempest Report 3 Jan 2011 23:21

Hi Faye both trees on ancestry I suggested earlier have

Louisa Margaret Condon Birth 19 Dec 1884 in India Death1969 in Maidstone, Kent, UK.

One says she was widowed in India in 1935 and emigrated with her son Anthony to Douglas St, Maidstone, Kent in 1947.

according to both her parents were; John Condon Birth 4 Dec 1860 in Hydrabad, Maharashtra, India Death 1907 in India, there is a photo of him on both trees

and mother Eliza Rebecca Desmier Birth 31 August c1863 in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan Death 31 August 1939 in Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

whilst the trees may not be completely accurate, they do both seem to have a heck of a lot of information on, for example one of the trees has a lot of extra info/ stories about John Condon and schooling certificates, as well as a lot of family photos.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2011 16:57

Faye, what I'm asking is: *how* do you know John's father was called Frank Mendes?

If it's family word of mouth, it may not be accurate at all. My family *knew* my gr-grfather's father was Francis Monck, from my gr-grfather having said so for several decades before and after immigrating here to Canada (and giving that name when he married a second time, in London in 1883). In fact there was no such person, and he was actually a Hill and his father was Francis Hill -- I discovered after months of hard labour with search engines. Long story, oft told here. ;)

People told tales about their parents for many reasons. In my gr-grf's case, it was because he had deserted from the military and taken a false surname (which happened to be a middle name of his younger sister who also adopted it as a surname, so there is still mystery). A more common reason is that the person's parents were not married, so father "John Smith" could be the mother's surname with a stepfather's or the real father's given name, a maternal grandfather or uncle, a total fiction, or one of various other possibilities.

For outsiders to help, it's impotant to know the source of the info you have, so the info can be assessed.

So -- are John's and Louisa's dates of birth, and John's father's name, taken from their marriage record in India, for instance?

Also, might you not consider contacting older living extended family members now? You weren't a party to the old feuds, and they might even be glad to know you.