Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost Mooney

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 10 Nov 2007 22:22

There is a story in the family concerning arguments over years, and of lost family members. I am trying to sort this out and get back in touch. Any help would be appreciated.

The story goes that my paternal GGF arrived from Ireland with several brothers and settled in the Leeds area towards the end of the 19th C.

He met, fell in love with and married a local girl (who became my GGM) and there was a child (my GF), but she refused to change her religion to RC or to bring my GF up as RC. This led to friction between my GGM and her husband's family.

This carried on when my Father was born and there was a further attempt to change his religion to RC but my GGM (his GM) would not allow it.

As a result the RC side of the family refused to speak to the non-RC side of the family (my GF) and we were cut-off from them.

At some point during all this the RC side of the family moved to Sheffield and the story is that we are related to the Mooney's of Sheffield but they do not know about us.

If this rings any bells, or prompts questions, please contact me.