Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Owen Moran - British Boxer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wesley

Wesley Report 27 Nov 2007 21:12

I am trying to pin point exactley what relation Owen Moran is to me. I have obtained his death certficate which states his name as Owen Michael Moran. Being a famous boxer, its quite easy to track down stats on him, as follows:

Date of Birth: 04 Oct 1884
Birthplace: Birmingham
Date of Death: 17 Mar 1949
Hometown: Birmingham

so you would think it would be easy to find his certificates. As said, I have his death cert, but I cannot find an entry for his birth cert. There was a Michael Moran registered a couple of months later, but I have purchased this cert and it is not him.

Can anyone shed any light on why i cannot find his birth cert?

Glenys

Glenys Report 27 Nov 2007 21:17

Are we really sure he was born Brum? this sounds like a good Irish name to me.

Wesley

Wesley Report 27 Nov 2007 21:25

all the info I have gained, including newspaper reports, state he was born in Birmingham.

Date of Birth: 04 Oct 1884
Birthplace: Birmingham
Date of Death: 17 Mar 1949
Hometown: Birmingham

Glenys

Glenys Report 27 Nov 2007 21:28

Just another thought it may have been his prof' boxing name ? I wonder if some boxing boards would have any information for you? i know nothing about boxing but someone out there must do. Well any advice in a storm!!

Glenys

Glenys Report 27 Nov 2007 21:29

Have you tried all the googles, I just read about him what a fascinating ancestor to have, lucky you.

Glenys

Glenys Report 27 Nov 2007 21:31

there was a Michael Moran born 1886 Wolverhampton? that's nr Brum.

Glenys

Glenys Report 27 Nov 2007 21:32

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1882 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moran Owen Hartlepool 10a 111

found this any help??

Wesley

Wesley Report 27 Nov 2007 21:40

He died 17/03/1949, and his death cert states he was 64, so he had to have been born in 1884. Additionally, his name on the death cert is Owen Michael Moran, if he had used a stage name (which had crossed my mind before) would his real name not have to be on the cert?
Unless he changed his name officially, but I dont even know where to start looking for that!!!

He is lodging in worcester (i think) on the 1901 census at the age of 16, and this states he was born in Birmingham. But he is not present on the 1891 census anywhere.

Wesley

Wesley Report 28 Nov 2007 10:28

Derek

Derek Report 28 Dec 2007 07:43

Hi Wesley, we too have an interest in Owen Moran. It is believed he was a relation of my g grandmother Annie Truslove (formerly Moran). I have been down the road of looking for his birth to try to prove / disprove the link. In the course of my searching I contacted a boxing historian and he sent me a host of stuff, which included a certified entry of his baptism from the Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives. Owen, born 4 October 1884 was baptised 9 November 1884 by William Sutherland. His parents were John and Cathrine Moran (formerly Kelly) Godparents were John Kelly and Sarah Murray. Hope this may help you. Also have death cert of his Father John . Despit all of this I am still struggling to prove the link, as I have yet to ascertain the parents of my gg grandfather Thomas Moran. From his marriage certificate he father was also Thomas (an architect). But I can't track him down in any census.

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

Edwin

Edwin Report 15 Aug 2017 11:41

Hi, I too am curious about Owen Moran. My Gran was Annie Pearsall (her Father was James Pearsall) lived in Icknield Street, B'ham at the turn of the last century. My Dad tells me that my Gran was very attached to Owen Moran and he used to come round the house a lot to visit. We aren't 100% sure if he was a relative or a close family friend.

I have nothing yet on my Gran's lineage. It would be interesting to know if others mapping their family tree and looking for info on Owen Moran come across Annie Pearsall.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Aug 2017 12:04

Could this be his baptism:-

England Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image
First name(s) Owen
Last name Moran
Birth year -
Baptism year 1884
Baptism date ? Nov 1884
Church St Chad
Parish Birmingham, St Chad's Cathedral
Deanery Birmingham Cathedral
Diocese Birmingham
County Warwickshire
Father's first name(s) -
Father's last name Moran
Mother's first name(s) -
Archive Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives
Archive reference P1/1b/2
Records year range 1878-1907
Document type Baptism index
Record set England Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms

and in the 1939 register:-

Moran Household (2 People)
90 Doris Road , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER

Owen Moran 04 Oct 1884 Male Book Makers Runner Single 69 1
Edith A Childs 28 Jun 1881 Female Housekeeper Single 69 2

EDIT - Just realised that this thread is nearly 10 years old. Not much hope of receiving replies from the original poster.

Kath. x

malyon

malyon Report 15 Aug 2017 12:07

Owen Moran
Boxer

Owen Moran was an English boxer. Known as "The Fearless", Moran is recognised by some historians as a former world bantamweight champion. During his career, Moran knocked out former lightweight king Battling Nelson and also fought boxing greats Ji…
Wikipedia
Born: 04 Oct 1884 · Birmingham, England
Died: 17 Mar 1949 · Birmingham, England
Height: 5' 3"
Martial art: Boxing
Boxer weight division: Featherweight

malyon

malyon Report 15 Aug 2017 12:21

He was born in Birmingham, England and is recognized by some historians as a world bantamweight champion. Nicknamed, "The Fearless," Moran utilized an attacking style and strong punch to meet and defeat many of the top fighters of his era.

A pro in 1900, he scored a win over George Dixon and drew with Jim Driscoll before traveling to the United States to twice draw with Abe Attell in 1908 featherweight title bouts.

Moran caused a stir when he knocked out former lightweight king Battling Nelson in 11 rounds in 1910. During his career, Moran tangled with such top fighters as Packey McFarland, Harlem Tommy Murphy and Charley White before retiring in 1916 with over 100 fights to his credit and the reputation as one of the finest fighters ever produced in Britain.

He died March 17, 1949 in Birmingham.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Aug 2017 12:41

Will of Owen Michael Moran,

Effects of £200-13s-9d to Kathleen Hawkins a spinster.

He died 17th |March 1949 at 90 Doris Street Sparkbrook Bir'ham.(his home)