Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harriet Morgan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

J

J Report 17 Feb 2008 19:20

I am trying to find any information about my grandmother Harriet Louisa Morgan, born August 4th 1897 in Hackney London. I know she had quite a few brothers and sisters. Her mother was called Mary-Anne/Ann Morgan. I don't know anything about a father.
I seem to have drawn a blank trying to trace her early life. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jane

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 17 Feb 2008 19:29

Do you have a copy of her birth cert? This would give her father's name and mother's maiden name. You should be able to find them on the l90l census then.
Good luck,
Liz

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Feb 2008 19:29

Do you have her birth certificate? This will give her fathers name.
Harriet Louisa Morgan
Year of Registration: 1897
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Hackney
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1b
Page: 543

I can't see her on the 1901 census, do you have her on that?

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 19 Feb 2008 09:28

There is this one which matches the name and age

Harriet Morgan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Relation: Adopted Child
Where born: St Luke, London, England

Civil Parish: Islington
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
County/Island: London
Registration district: Islington
Sub-registration district: Lower Holloway
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 17
Household Members:
Name Age
Elizabeth Drake 53 b St Pncras London
John Drake 53 b St Pancras London
Harriet Morgan 4

5 Durr Street Islington, John is a house painter.

As you know now that Harriet was illegitimate (info supplied by pm from birth cert), maybe this couple took her on.Being a single mother was not an option back then, Mary Anne would have had to worked. The usual option was to have the child looked after by grandparents, but if this was not possible, it was common for another couple to take the child on.

The other possibility of course is that Mary Anne may have died
There are lots of deaths for Mary Ann Morgans in London between 1897 and 1901, but mainly too old. there is this one though
Mary Ann Morgan abt 1859 1897 Jul-Aug-Sep Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
but even then she would have been 38, a bit old for a young girl ending up "in trouble"

The one thing which does confuse me is that you say that she had brothers and sisters, so what do you know about them?

Linda