Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great, great, great granparents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 9 Dec 2007 22:33

Trying to find information on my great great great grandparents-John Morrison and Margaret McGill. They were married in St. Quivox, Ayrshire in 1816 and their son Quintin was born in Ballantrae in 1818. Another son, John, my great, great grandfather was born in Girvan in 1823. Although I can trace Quintin's and John's lives until their deaths, I am having trouble with their parents. I don't know if they were born in Scotland or not. I have found some possibilities on Scotland's People but don't want to use up all my credits by following false trails. Does anyone have any information?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Dec 2007 03:22

Hi Geraldine -- the IGI has Margaret's name spelled a little differently, in case that helps at all (don't know whether that's where you got the info):

JOHN MORRISON
Spouse: MARGARET MACGILL
Marriage: 07 APR 1816 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland
Batch No.: M116124

Interesting ... I clicked on the batch number link and searched for MacGill, and got these results, but not Margaret:

1. GEORGE MACGILL
Gender: Male Marriage: 24 AUG 1817 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland
2. GILBERT MCGILL
Gender: Male Marriage: 11 MAR 1791 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland
3. QUINTIN MCGILL
Gender: Male Marriage: 30 NOV 1805 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland

And there are these for Morrison:

1. ANGUS MORRISON
Gender: Male Marriage: 21 JUN 1804 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland
2. JOHN MORRISON (yours)
Gender: Male Marriage: 07 APR 1816 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland
3. THOMAS MORRISON
Gender: Male Marriage: 22 OCT 1815 St. Quivox And Newton, Ayr, Scotland

Could be some siblings.

The batch number for baptisms there 1767-1802 and 1812-1853 is C116122; no Morrison or MacGill births. There are actually a lot of different batch numbers, though -- you can browse them from here if you haven't:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyAyr.htm#S

The 1841 census does state that he was born in Ayrshire, for what that's worth -- this would be them, I think? --

Name: John Morrison
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Where born: Ayrshire, Scotland

Civil Parish: Girvan
County: Ayrshire
Address: Dabrymple St
Parish Number: 594

Thomas Colingsom 6
Helen Morrison 30
John Morrison 45
John Morrison 15
Margt Morrison 2
Thomas Morrison 8 Mo
William Morrison 5

Unfortunately no image is available at Ancestry to sort out that household -- might it be at scotlandspeople?