Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Muir (1831)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`)

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 3 Nov 2007 18:19

Help! Does anyone like to solve mysteries?

Please, can anyone help me find John Muir (b.3 May 1831, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland)? He and his brother, Robert (1833) emigrated to Australia about 1850. (Neither in the 1851 Census.) Robert died on 11 Jul 1905 in Sydney, Australia, unmarried and a retired butcher.

Early in 1907, two return passages were booked by Muir to Sydney, Australia. One ticket was used by another brother, Matthew who placed a plaque on Robert's grave. (Family photograph!) Also in the photograph is John Muir.

There is no suitable death record for John Muir in New South Wales, Australia.

If John Muir returned to Britain and, then, back to Australia with Mattthew, for placing the plaque, why is only Matthew's name on the plaque?

John, apparently, died before Matthew, who died in 1916. That is between 1907 and 1916, either in Australia or Britain.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Lindy.

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 3 Nov 2007 22:10

Please, will someone have a go at this?

I forgot to add that it is unlikely that John Muir married, either in Britain or Australia. He seemed to leave everything to his brother, Matthew, including his fob watch.

Thank you,
Lindy.

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 Dec 2007 11:44

Hi Lindy, whilst I was researching Muirs on
LDS I found the following. William Muir - Born 28.10.1826 Killwinning, Ayr Scotland. also David Muir Born 3.8.1828, Kilwinning, John Muir Born 3.5.1831 Killwinning. Parents - John Muir C1801,,
Ann Burns - C1805. Hope this is of some help to you, Regards, Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 7 Dec 2007 11:45

LDS is entered through Family Search.org

Regards, Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 22 Dec 2007 11:48

Lindy, my grandmother is believed to be of Scottish ancestry, so John Muir probably came from there.
He married in New Zealand? I think to Margaret Alexander. If you find anything like this I would appreciate the help. In the meantime, have a safe and happy Christmas and new year, Pam

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 22 Dec 2007 17:00

Thanks, Pam!

I didn't think of him living in New Zealand! I'll give it a try and thanks, again.

Merry Christmas to you and have a Good and Prosperous New Year.

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 22 Dec 2007 17:10

I've had a look at LDS. Apparently John Muir married Margaret Alexander in Victoria, Australia in 1886. BUT, his age is roughly 25. So, I don't think this is the right John Muir. He would have been 45 and I don't think anyone would make such a big mistake.

Also, I have a photo of John Muir at Robert Muir's graveside, taken in 1907. In the photo, he is wearing a fob watch. My brother recognised this as the fob watch out grandfather wore. If John Muir married and didn't return to Britain, how did his fob watch in my grandfather's waistcoat?????

All the Best,
Lindy