Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Polly Murphy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 26 Dec 2007 18:23

I have been researching my family tree for 3 years, done so well so far til my aunt Maureen asked me to find her Grandmother Mary Murphy, she never met her and she remembered Mary had 2 sisters Sarah and Lou, Maureen told me her father Alfred never mentioned his mother Mary and he died when Maureen was 15 years old. She wanted to know more about her grandmother Mary. And Maureen said it was her aunt Sarah brought her father Alfred up and Sarah was married to a Russell and Maureen doesnt know why Sarah was the one who raised Alfred herself not Alfred's mother.

So I went to look for them for months, they all were born in Ireland.
Just last week one of my distant relatives' tip off about this Dublin census. I discoverd that Alfred was possibly adopted by Sarah Russell nee Murphy. Also discovered that Mary had 3 sisters, (not 2) and 1 brother. Maureen was shocked as she never knew Alfred was adopted and never knew anything about Ellen and Francis Henry (Mary's brother and sister). Sadly Mary Polly Murphy was no where found and we already knew tha Mary was married to a Thomas Carpenter, he was also nowhere to be found.
Alfred was 2 years old at that time, the census was written him as an "Adopted Child" and one thing has puzzling me, he was adopted but kept Alfred's birth surname Carpenter. I wonder why about this.

Is there anyway I find out about Alfred's adoption papers to confirm that he was adopted by Sarah? and how can I find it? Would it tell us why Mary gave him up? My aunt remembered that Sarah also brought up another boy. One of Mary's sisters Louise or Louisa also gave him up. Sarah couldnt have children of her own.

Alfred's natural mother was born in Co. Tipperary, Ireland. Mary Polly Murphy, I have to guess her birthyear was somewhere between 1872 - 1874.

Mary had 3 sisters, Ellen, Louisa, Sarah and 1 brother Francis Henry Murphy, All born in Co. Tipperary, Ireland.

Ellen married to John O'Grady. Ellen and John had 6 children, 2 of those children have died before 1911. 4 of their living children at that time in 1911, Nora Frances, Elizabeth Mary. Robert Joseph and Kathleen Sarah. All born in Dublin, Ireland.

in 1911, John was the Head of the household, Sarah, Francis and Alfred lived with O'Grady family.I am wondering about Alfred's adoption, you know all those censuses always written head, son, daughter. sister in law, mother in law. brother in law etc etc relatiing to the Head, But first time I saw "Adopted Child" next to Alfred's name, could it mean Alfred was adopted by John?
But I have to assume on my aunt's info that Alfred was brought up by Sarah because Maureen found a couple of letters was written by Sarah, Sarah signed herself as Alfred's Guardian. .

Any help would be really appericated on how and where can I find this adoption papers. And also it would be lovely to hear from anyone who thinks they may have connections to O'Grady and Murphy Families.
Happy New Year
Best Wishes
Kerry Miller