Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Nicholls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 25 Mar 2009 20:39

Trying to find information about John Nicholls born c1827 South Molton, Devon, emigrated to Australia and married Eliza Banks in 1856, Sydney, Australia. His parents were William Nicholls and Anne Berry who were married in 1832. Think John may have been illegitimate. Can not find any record of his birth. Oral history is our only source of information and the information supplied on his death certicate. We are able to trace the Australian records but need help and/or information about his English origins. John died Sydney 1916. Are there any other chldren born to William and Anne?

Eliza Banks was born in St Michael Bedwardine, Worcester, England, her father was John Banks and mother Sarah Willis. Eliza died in Sydney, Australia in 1910.

If any one is tracing this Nicholls family, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Anne

Roger

Roger Report 20 Apr 2009 04:55

Ineresting Anne, we too have been tracing a John NICHOLLS of the same era. I thought he might have been your one till read this posting. BLOW!

My John I have no official Info till his marriage in 1875 at age 46 in New Zealand and died as John Howard NICHOLLS(JHN). The second name did not show till later in life. JHN was so supposed to have been born in England about 1830 leaving in 1835 with his father John a School Master and a brother James. JHN died in NZ 1905.
Unlike You Australia is proving difficult. There father would be circa 1800 making it possible there GF is the John NCHOLLS a Convict on the First Fleet ship in to Australia. The records of this guy are only he married and was later given farm land in NSW by the government. My lot are all of the land. I do wonder if the convict childerns births are actually sealed.

Ethel

Ethel Report 20 Apr 2009 07:58

Hi Anne. Just a faint possibility. Are you sure of the age or birth being 1827. I have found a birth registered for a John Nicholls. 1837. July/Sept. Qtr. reg in South Molton. Devon.
This would still be in the range for him to marry in 1856 as he would be 19.
If you think this a possibility, then he would not be illegitimate, if his parents married in 1832. Ethel.

Stacy

Stacy Report 31 Jan 2010 23:32

hi, i know this is a long shot, my name is stacy nicholls, and i am researching my family, we all have lived in or aound south molton, my grandad is raymond nicholls jan 18th 1931, and was wonderin if this was any where on your tree