Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Nicholls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 11 Feb 2007 11:48

Hello. I'm trying to trace relatives in the Luton, Beds. area. My grandfather, Alfred Nicholls, was born in Luton in 1870, where he lived with his family and 3 brothers, Frank, Walter and William, and a sister. His father was William Nicholls and mother Sarah Ann Nicholls. We do know that Walter Nicholls ran a grocery shop in Park Street, Luton and that Frank managed a cinema. Our problem is that for some reason (could have been a disagreement) my grandfather changed his surname to Nichols with one l in 1894. He died when my father, George Alfred, was only 5. My grandmother, Minnie, then moved to Oxford with my father and later remarried. My father continued to visit his uncles for a while, up to age 18 years. If anyone has any info. we would be so thrilled. My father and mother had four children, John Harvey, Brian George, Peter David and me Joyce Minnie.