Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paul Norton-Ashley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 11 Jun 2007 22:30

Hi, trying to trace any info on a Bertha Norton (nee Maidment) born in 1875, in East Stower(Stour), Dorset, my Grandmother. This dear old lady was extremely secretive about her life and everthoing following is what I have managed to trace. I am having great difficulty finding her husband Frank Norton. Bertha was a ladies maid to a Benita Pelly, wife of Sir Thomas Lees, who was killed in the 1st ww, who lived and is buried in Lytchett Minster, Dorset. Bertha Maidment disappears around the turn of the century and returns unannounced into East Stour in 1907, with a married name of Norton, heavily pregnant and no apparent husband??? Sir Thomas was for a time an assistant to the Governor General in South Africa and one assumes his wife and maid went with him. Cannot find any trace of their journeys or when my Grandmother got married. Liklihood is that she married in South Africa. My father Leon Norton was born in 1907 and still no trace of a father, my grandfather. After the 1st ww, Benita and my Grandmother moved to London and where they lived for a number of years. In 1928 Benita married again to a Viscount Allenbrooke, (Churchills right hand man in the 2nd ww). Through all of this there is no trace of my Grandfather. Frank Norton. Is there anyone out there that can add to this convoluted story.