Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

nothing in particular

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 10:31

i am always amazed that some people ask for help and take days to check back for any help they may have had or dont seem to check back at all ann

Sam

Sam Report 17 Jul 2008 10:41

I know what you mean. Sometimes the person doesn't give enough info so you ask a question and they never come back and reply - how do they expect to get help?

Saying that, the other day I received a PM saying something like 'Such and Such a place is in Staffordshire, near Stoke'. I had absolutely no idea what the message was about so I asked the sender, she replied saying that I had replied to one of her threads and this was the info I had asked for.

Nope, still meant nothing so I went back through all my threads and it turned out to be the answer to a question on a thread I had answered 2 months earlier...

How am I supposed to remember that????

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 10:41

Ann,

I think what happens is their request 'gets lost in the system' !!!

I do believe it's only after they have posted their request they realise they have no idea how to retrieve it!!

Most just leave it and hope something happens itself i think !!

Many people here are new to pc's anyhow and one slight annoyance like that is enough to make them shy away again, which is terribly upsetting for all of us!!

Tracey

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 10:47

i know what you mean how are you supposed to remember what info you sent last week when you might have helped a couple of hundred since then

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 10:50

I had the very same last night, only my message was...

"Yes, thanks for that he lived in Staffordshire in 1899"

....soooooooo i'm like errr???? Who... and the name of the person who sent it was a very common first name!! ...and looking at the threads i have helped there were a few with that name....

....so i replied with who lived in Staffordshire?

....i can see it being a very long drawn out event ...lol

LOL

Tracey

EDIT:

Can i add another pet hate of mine.

People who after giving them the marriage of a relative suddenly send you a pm opening up their tree and welcoming you into the family !!!

It amazes me sometimes these people have the ability to ask for help in the first place...!!

...gone again......

T x

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 10:51

iknow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 10:53

i added an edit!

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 10:55

i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 10:58

Well thats def my firrst laughing of the day over with....

T x

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 11:00

your edit made me chuckle

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 17 Jul 2008 11:03

Ann....................... dont get me started!!

As was said in a thread only yesterday, if someone gave you a gift would you not thank them, if someone opened a door would you not thank them? All we ask is that they come back and confirm that what we have sent is right or wrong.

Maybe some people on here are under the impression that we are actually employed by GR and get paid for what we do when in actual fact we do it because we want to help, free of charge. What a gift! Employing a genealogist for a few hours costsa fortune, all we want is an acknolwedgement for the time and money it has cost us to help them.

I'm ranting arent I? ...............................sorry!!! I just like good manners!!

My 'Edit'

I was told by one member on the above mentioned thread yesterday that we 'moan all the time'!!! On the contrary, I think the helpers on here have the patience of saints.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 11:03

What makes me laugh is half the chat boards here are people complaining about others 'stealing' tree data, after they have opened their tree (like thats a suprise!!).....

.... and then there is a quarter on the TTF boards opening up their tree to anyone who sneeze's...

This site make me laugh at it's oddities every single day!!

T x

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 11:05

i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 11:06

Oh Lindylu...

....Let me get that door for you... *pulls out chair*.... please sit down...

....coffee??

.......and relax, your amongst friends now...so don't hold back....

....................Oh hang on, darn it, you already opened salvo....lol

Yeah i feel like an alien on the space invaders machine sometimes dodging the shots...!!!

T x

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 11:07

pam my lovely dont be a misery you have to see the funny side to

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 17 Jul 2008 11:09

I would like to think Pam's tongue is firmly in her cheek....

We do ned to let of light hearted steam.... and i'd hate this to get all serious....cos to be honest if i took anything here too seriously i'd have been long gone ages ago!

T x

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 11:09

3 tomatoes in a row which ones the cowboy??

none of them they're all red skins

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 11:13

i did'nt mean to be sorry

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 17 Jul 2008 11:13

'Here we go again, moan, moan, moan!!'

See what I mean!!

Ann

Ann Report 17 Jul 2008 11:14

i'm off out now before i upset anyone else xxxx