Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fledgling

fledgling Report 7 Sep 2009 22:52

Hi I am trying to find out more about Maggie O Dowd 1861c who I believe was born in Ireland and moved to London , no idea of date but sometime after she was born and before marrying when she was about 20. She married Charles Phelpsc 1859 and had a daughter 'Katherine' Margaret c 1881 who then married arthur Jesse Byatt in Sept 1903 Islington. I have found a Charles and Margaret Phelps in 1881 cencus with a 'Catherine' c 1880 which fits and then in 1901 Charles and Margaret with lots more children Catherine has turned into 'Kate' living at 51 Loffing Road Islington. So does anyone know of any ODowds who moved from Ireland ( ? Kerry) to London at some point between >1861 and < 1881 with a daughter called Margaret ? Many Thanks for any help .. I'm ordering Katherines marriage certificate but don't know how much info that gives re mothers family?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Sep 2009 22:55

well her marriage cert should name her dad ,and if she moved here soon after she was born presumably it was with her family. Have you found her on any census pre marriage

fledgling

fledgling Report 7 Sep 2009 23:00

No I can't find her on any pre marriage only the 1881 when she is 20 and already married . The marraige certificate I've ordered is for her daughters wedding but seemed unclear on GOR site whether mothers details are given on wedding certificates pre 1960 ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Sep 2009 23:05

Her marriage has her as DOWD not O'Dowd

Name: Margaret Dowd
Year of Registration: 1879
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Islington
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1b
Page: 420

Name: Charles Phelps
Year of Registration: 1879
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Islington
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1b
Page: 420

fledgling

fledgling Report 7 Sep 2009 23:05

Sorry ... i havn't written it clearly, the marriage wasn't 1859 thats her husbands date of birth. I guess my best bet would be to try and track down their marriage certificate as at least then I'd get her Dads details.As she was married in 1881 aged 20 it shouldn't be too hard to find ?? as she must have married around 1877-80.

fledgling

fledgling Report 7 Sep 2009 23:06

Thankyou soooooo much :)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Sep 2009 23:07

Emma she married in 1879 see my posting!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Sep 2009 23:12

1881 census

Name: Margaret Phelps
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Charles
Where born: Kerry, Ireland

Civil parish: Islington
County/Island: London

Street Address: 58 Freeling St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Islington
Sub-registration district: Islington West
ED, institution, or vessel: 35a
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Phelps 22
Margaret Phelps 20
Charles Phelps 2
Catherine Phelps 1

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 234; Folio: 107; Page: 48; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341051.

so she had another child before catherine

fledgling

fledgling Report 11 Sep 2009 15:01

Shirley
Thank you for finding her as Dowd .. narrow things down a lot ! I'm waiting for the certificate now
Many Thanks
Fledgling ( gave myself a 'community name' for privacey )

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Sep 2009 16:19

Fledgling.....The only O'Dowds from the Co.Kerry Listed 1881 Census...

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Harry O'DOWD Head M Male 41 Kerry Co, Ireland Blacksmith Tarrier
Catherine O'DOWD Mother M Female 38 Kerry Co, Ireland
Mary Ann O DOWD Daur M Female 21 Kerry Co, Ireland Servant
Johannah O'DOWD Daur U Female 15 Holborn, Middlesex, England
Catherine O'DOWD Daur Female 13 Islington, Middlesex, England
Dominac O'DOWD Son Male 11 Islington, Middlesex, England
Henry O'DOWD Son Male 9 Kerry, Ireland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 5 Elliotts Place
Census Place London, Middlesex, England
Family History Library Film 1341059
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0272 / 79
Page Number 31

Note the gap in age between Mary Ann and Johanna...possibly Maggie is in there..

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Sep 2009 16:33

Fledgling....As a point of interest Lofting Rd Islington and Elliots Place (1881 Census) still exist and are about 5-10mins walk from one and other.

fledgling

fledgling Report 11 Sep 2009 17:04

WOW Thats ace ... thank you so much . I just persumed that I'd have to try and find her in Ireland to look for siblings. Looking at the dates they must have come to London after 1861 but beforeJohannah was born 1866 and then popped back to Ireland around 1870 after Dominacs birth but before having Henry in Ireland 1872. I'm going to try and look at passenger records and see if I have any luck finding them with Margaret (Maggie) .
I am so pleased you've found this for me ... I looked at an irish site which didn't give names but identified that there were only two o Dowd families in County Kerry and you've found one living 5 mins away - it must be them x

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Sep 2009 20:42

Fledgling...Dont get too excited...the possibility is there but you will need definative evidence...eg MC of Maggie before you can really start "shouting" That being said I have looked at some Co. Kerry records and can only find so far.....the following...

A Birth of a Mary Dowd 28 Nov.1859 CastleIsland Co.Kerry to Henry Dowd and Catherine Clancy
The Birth of a Henry Dowd 3 July 1834 to Dennis Dowd and Mary Sullivan
Castleisland Co.Kerry....

The surname would be O'Dowd but the "O" tends disappear on transcription as with the vast majority of "O"Surnames
The Christian name Henry was not a common one so it may be worthwhile keeping this aside until later...The family are RC.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Sep 2009 21:21

Fledgling...Still having no luck finding Margarets Birth/Baptism in the Co.Kerry but have found Henry's..born 2.June 1872 to Henry Dowd and Kate Clancy.

fledgling

fledgling Report 11 Sep 2009 22:08

Feel Henry Dowd and Kate Clancy must be Harry and Catherine 1881.

( my great grandmother who was margarets daughter changes her name from catherine to Kate to Katherine ) . I can't help feeling just a little excited but will curtail the shouting x
I know Margaret was RC so that fits and Henry's changed to Harry ? The birth of Henry in 1834 though is prob a bit too early .... but maybe an earlier sibling of his ( who died ?) and they kept the name?
I managed to waste ( or maybe not) about 8 euro the other night finding out there were only two o dowd households in Kerry called O Dowd but without any further details
.. I am really chuffed you're getting all this for me :) Thank you lots

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Sep 2009 22:13

Fledgling....
Harry is another name for Henry and Kate for Catherine...Your possibly right about the Birth date for Henry (Son of Dennis and Mary) the only thing being... it was very common to tell Census Ennumerator any date of birth...most didnt know any way....my own family added and took away the years as it suited them...

fledgling

fledgling Report 11 Sep 2009 22:31

You've given me so much to go on .. Thankyou
I've just been doing this for just over a week and am using up credits all over the place on ancestry and www.1901census .co.uk and another one ..find family? But should have signed up to something a bit more permanently. On both patenal sides I've got lots of irish ancestors aswell as welsh and scottish .. a few of them on both sides of family visited India or were born there . What would you recomend as the best site to sign up to?
Many Thanks
Ps I had a look at above re passenger lists hoping to find Margaret but 'ancestrys' only started later like 1890c any ideas of where else to look ? Thought if we find Harry and Catherine with Margaret alongside Mary Ann and other kids on a boat then we've got them !

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 12 Sep 2009 08:16

Morning Fledgling....I cannot suggest which site is best to subscribe to ...(I have do not used any but have had cause to use Scotlandspeople in the past which was good value for money).Before you go spending lots of money on pay per view sites work out what it is you need to know and see if you can get any of the excellent researchers on GR lists to point you in the right direction...You will need to spend money on Certs. but thats the only way you can confirm or not if it is "your" family.
If Maggie was the daughter of Harry and Kate (Catherine) then she would be on the 1871 Census....I dont have that but you could always ask if someone could look this up for you...
There were no passenger lists from Ireland.

Dea

Dea Report 12 Sep 2009 09:06

Is this the one you wanted from 1871?

1871 England Census
about Margaret Dowd
Name: Margaret Dowd
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Henry
Mother's Name: Catherine
Where born: Middlesex, England
Civil parish: Islington St Peter
County/Island: London
Registration district: Islington
Sub-registration district: Islington East
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Household schedule number: 64
Household Members: Name Age
Henry Dowd 36 labourer. b CORK, Ireland. !!!
Catherine Dowd 28 b. CORK, Ireland !!!
Mary Ann Dowd 11 .............. All children born Middlesex. ???
Margaret Dowd 9
Joanna Dowd 5
Catherine Dowd 3
Dominick Dowd 1

at 8 Rose Thorn Court

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 280; Folio: 5; Page: 3; GSU roll: 824921.

Dea x

fledgling

fledgling Report 12 Sep 2009 21:58

Thanks loads Dea x
Thats them with Margaret odd though the difference from 1881 and marriage info .. re birth places
Best Wishes
Fledgling