Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Details /contact - tree difficult to do!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suz

Suz Report 30 Nov 2007 14:17

i have found a lot of details regarding my birth family on this GR site. my problem is because i have been adopted and they don't know that i exist, i am struggling to find my grandparents details i.e. date of birth, origin etc... can anyone suggest anything?? i can always get certificates but that works out very expensive.. i cannot ask any of my siblings for obvious reasons...thanks anyway...

Ethel

Ethel Report 30 Nov 2007 15:30

Hi.
It is always difficult in these circumstances, so you need to start with you.

Do you have your original birth certificate with your birth parents/parent on it.
If they were married, then it may be possible to trace their marriage and get a certificate which will give their Father's names and occupations.
If your Mum was unmarried then a search for her birth. You do not give any indication of dates and periods of time or places.
From these findings you should be able to get somewhere towards the name of at least your Grandfather, which will again help to trace further back.
You say in your letter that you have received help and information re your parents etc. If you wish to send me this I will try and help, although this cannot be guaranteed. Ethel.

Maureen

Maureen Report 30 Nov 2007 15:54

hi

If your mother's name is on your birth certificate trace her birth and there should be both her parents listed. If you have ages and dates you can then work out when your mother was born and take a guess at when her parents were married.
I recently had an unknown cousin find me this way, the only difference was her mother had died so she bought the death certificate and went back from there.

Suz

Suz Report 8 Jan 2008 16:02

thank you to ethel & maureen for their help - sorted fine on birth mothers side - she won't have anything to do with me... never mind... but on my birth fathers side i'm struggling. they don't know i exist and my half sister is only 1 click away on this site (GR)..very very frustrating. i cannot find my birth grandparents marriage or their births... still trying tho... very time consuming ..

Potty

Potty Report 8 Jan 2008 16:24

Have you tried contacting your half sister by PM? She may ignore your PM but if you don't try you will never know.

Moy

Moy Report 8 Jan 2008 16:46

Although it is only 1 click away that decision is massive... my full brother and half sister are both a click away on this site, but I am sure they know nothing of my existance either!!
All the best in your search