Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No Fathers On Marriage Cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichol

Nichol Report 21 Nov 2007 09:45

Hi Everyone
I know this is a long shot, I am trying to find any info on the persons below. These are my Grandparents and unfortunately noone within my family know anything. I have their marriage certificate but neither have listed their fathers name!!!! I feel at such a dead end now, I dont know what to do next.

John Patrick O'Roarke, born 1926 deceased 1969, thought to be born in Ireland.
Edna Thornton, then Edna Sleney then Edna O'Roarke, born 1918 Bradford, deceased 1989 Sheffield.
Son of above Peter Shaun O'Roarke born Sheffield 11 August 1956.
The above were married in Sheffield march qtr 1956
It is beleived that most of their lives together was in Sheffield Portland Walk, Walkley.
I would be most grateful if anyone could even tell me where to start looking next.
Thanks Nichol

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 09:57

Well with Edna you can look up her birth cert and buy it for £7 from GRO online for both her parents names and fathers occupation which should then help you search backwards for their marriage cert and census entries.

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 21 Nov 2007 10:01

On freebmd..birth..Bradford..March 1920..Edna Thornton..mmn Wilkinson....vol 9b...page 161

Could this be her? Get the cert..find the father if there is one.

Suzanne

Nichol

Nichol Report 25 Nov 2007 09:57

Hi Suzanne
Sorry that is not my grandmother, I also found this, her death cert definately says her date of birth as June 1918.
Thankyou anyway

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 25 Nov 2007 10:18

possible birth edna thornton mar quarter 1918 10a 1614 gateshead not bradford mmn colver

Nichol

Nichol Report 26 Nov 2007 08:05

hi rose tea
sorry, again her death cert info says date of birth 8 june 1918

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 26 Nov 2007 08:15

Do you have both marriage certs for Edna?

Ozi.

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 26 Nov 2007 11:48

Info on death certs only as sure as the person giving it thinks. IE if you always told someone your age was such and such people would work backwards or forwards from there _ it doesn't mean it's true.

Suzanne

Gillian

Gillian Report 26 Nov 2007 12:22

Death certificates do not always give the correct d.o.b it depends on who registers them and what state they are in at the time.

Heather

Heather Report 26 Nov 2007 15:52

Yes, info on death certs are notoriously incorrect. I recently spent quite a lot of time looking for a birth for someone on here who "definitely" knew that his gran was born 1910. He then took a chance on the 1912 birth Id found and yes, it was her.

Get the marriage cert - you know thats the right people and will then give you the fathers details to work on.