Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find out about Margaret Park

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 26 Nov 2007 15:19

I know she was from salford, born around 1830 and got married in 1869 to Herman Hovestadt. I know she had two sons, Herman Jnr and John Charles.

Herman married Ann Charles but I have no information on Margaret or John Charles?

Can anyone help?

Heather

Heather Report 26 Nov 2007 15:55

Have you bought the marriage cert for Margaret and Herman? Thats your next step. You havent given any details of area, but I assume it was Liverpool district?

Marriages Jun 1869
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hovestadt Herman West Derby 8b 621

Use the above ref to buy the marriage cert from GRO online for £7 which will give both fathers names and occupations and allow you to work back through the census and other certs.

David

David Report 26 Nov 2007 15:59

According to the census Margaret was born c1840 Salford.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 26 Nov 2007 16:25

Margaret Park was born in Salford j/a/s 1839 ref 20 741. The only census they show up on is 1901 when they are living at 12 East Topping Street, Blackpool.

Herman Hovestadt aged 60 Invalid. Born in Amsterdam in England.
Margaret (wife) aged 61. Born in Salford.
John (son) aged 9.
It's not impossible he was their son but seems unlikely. Perhaps a grandson living with them.

David

David Report 26 Nov 2007 19:00

Jeanette

They show up in the census, just mistranscribed.

Hoverstade in 1891

Houstadt in 1881

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 27 Nov 2007 16:20

Thanks, David.

So Philip, in 1881 they lived at 12 East Topping Street, Layton with Warbrick, Blackpool. Herman was a Railway Porter. Their son Herman, aged 7, lived with them and they had a lady lodger called Mary Colthart.

In 1891 they lived at 10 East Topping Street. He is still a Railway Porter but there is no mention of son Herman. However they had another lady lodger called Margaret Hewitt.

As already mentioned they were still in Blackpool in 1901.

You will need to get a copy of Margaret's birth certificate to find her parents, and if you know she had another son, you need to know an approximate year of birth for any follow up. It is possible he was born and died between census returns but without an approximate date, it is a long haul to check. Hope this helps.